What is worse, uppers or lowers?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracehanne

What is worse, uppers or lowers?

#1 Post by bracehanne »

Hi fellow lingual-wearers!

I am a 25 year-old who just got my lower linguals fitted yesterday (The brand is Win, which I heard was practically the same as Incognito).

I am feeling okay right now, no pain, some tongue ulcers, but nothing too bad. Pleasantly surprised :)
But I scheduled the apt. to fit my upper jaw two days before a big presentation at work.. So I am wondering: Which jaw did you feel gave you the most trouble? Like lisping, pain, ulcers etc.

Kalia

Re: What is worse, uppers or lowers?

#2 Post by Kalia »

I also have WIN (had them fitted 2 months ago,) and it's awesome that you feel okay so far. :) From my experience the first 2 weeks after having the linguals fitted are the worst, (though I did have both sets put in at once,) but it's just as possible that you might be one of the lucky ones and have very little discomfort at all. However if you do start to get a few tongue ulcers or whatever - I often find my teeth start to ache on a time lag of about a day after I have an appointment - don't panic, as it is definitely all temporary.

But to your question - for me, the top set was the worst for lisping. Not to be pessimistic, but you will still probably have quite a lisp 2 days after having them put in. The top set I found was also the worst for tooth pain, (even now my front 2 teeth are more sensitive than they used to be.) The bottom set I found tore up my tongue the most - but if you haven't gotten many ulcers yet, maybe that won't be the case for you.

From reading the forums and people's blogs I've found that linguals seem to be a very personal experience for everyone - for example I got very bad tooth pain for at least the first month and had to live off of liquid foods for quite a while - whereas some people were back to eating steak and chips 3 days in!

I think that getting each set of linguals separately was a smart idea though, and I hope that it does continue to not be too hard for you!

bracehanne

#3 Post by bracehanne »

Thank you, Kalia, that is very helpful!

I am still doing okay, but I had a couple of days (day 3 and 4) which were hard, as my tongue was very sore and articulation became a struggle. But I am slowly recovering. I will call my ortho to schedule the next fitting to after my presentation though, since I don't want to risk having to lisp my way through it. :wink:

I am on soft foods still, a week in, and guess I will be for a while. Which is fine, I think it will help me lose those stubborn kilos exercising won't take.

Kalia

#4 Post by Kalia »

Yes I definitely think that's a good idea. :) And it's awesome to hear you're not suffering too much - well, maybe I've jinxed it before you've had your uppers put in though. :wink:

As for the soft foods, I hope you don't get sick of them too fast; I know by day 7 I didn't want to look another yoghurt or soup in the face again after eating them for every single meal. I think there's some pretty good "brace food recipes" floating around the forums though. Personally I discovered the joys of a bowl of mashed potato slathered in oil, cream and butter, so I actually managed to put on a few pounds. :lol: