How long to get "used" to lingual braces?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kalia

How long to get "used" to lingual braces?

#1 Post by Kalia »

I have had my lingual braces in for 3 days now, and was wondering if it ever gets easier, because at this rate I don't think I could last 24 months feeling the way I do right now!

I understand that my lisp will reduce (though maybe not entirely) after a month or so I will be able to start eating foods (though tbh I have no idea how that will be possible, seeings as my teeth can't touch, so there's no way to chew) and hopefully that my tongue and teeth will get tougher and less senstivie - but I just can't see how I will ever get a stage where I don't "notice" the braces anymore, they feel so painful and obvious!

Could anyone who is 3+ months (or just a bit further in than I am) into their treatment explain how the braces feel to them now? It's just so horrible thinking about the appliance and feeling uncomfortable 24/7, and I'm really worried, because for the past few days I haven't been able to focus or think about anything other than the brace, and I just don't know if I can do this for years.

Would appreciate a little reassurance - or even a harsh truth! Thankyou.

tonyk

Re: How long to get "used" to lingual braces?

#2 Post by tonyk »

Kalia,

I'm one month into linguals (Incognito). I would say that the first 2 weeks are the hardest: the discomfort of the braces against the tongue, the weird feeling of the metal in the mouth, and the lisp. For me, the lisp was the most stubborn problem. After about 2 weeks, the tongue soreness was not that big of a deal, and you get used to eating with the braces on. You must use dental wax or dental silicone for the tongue soreness. You adjust to eating with them even if your teeth don't touch. On that point, I think that the bumpers that prevent your teeth from contacting are a good idea because it prevents you from knocking off the brackets on opposing teeth. I cannot eat apples or bite into something hard with my front teeth, but if I cut up food, I can chew it without problems.

Now, I only notice a vague tightness now in my teeth from the braces themselves, and it's not a problem. My lisp is becoming manageable.

My teeth have definitely moved in the right direction in just one month, so that's encouraging.

You are at the toughest point in the treatment, but if you stick with it, you should be very happy! It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Tony

Kalia

#3 Post by Kalia »

Heya,

It's really great to know that even after only one month it's become easier for you, that is comforting! I think I have to trust that it will in fact get easier, and just take it week by week. I've also spent all today reading yours and other people's blogs, and it's reassuring to know that others have managed to cope with the same symptoms, makes it seem more possible to deal with. :)

I would like to ask though: have you gotten to a point yet where you can ever "forget" about the braces? I can deal with being forced to think about and work around the appliance at mealtimes, but I'm a little worried about how much I obsess over this feeling of a "mouth full of metal" during the day. Hopefully it's just because of the newness of it all.

But thanks for the reply!

tonyk

#4 Post by tonyk »

For the most part I'm not even aware that I'm wearing the braces. There is a hassle around the intensified flossing/brushing after meals, but you just get into the new habits. The only time I think about them is when I have to work to suppress my lisp, and then I'm thinking about my speech, not the braces themselves, if that makes sense. It's all new to you right now, and it's understandable that it's all you can focus on, but life goes on. It's braces, not a fatal disease :lol:

Tony

Kalia

#5 Post by Kalia »

That's awesome to hear, really looking forward to when I reach that stage now then. :)

Also I know, though sometimes when I'm staring sadly at that bar of chocolate, I start to believe that I have been cursed... Although I was forced to realise just how much I was whining when a friend seriously asked: "so, how much are you paying again simply to be tortured?" - I really have to remember what this is all for, and how much it will all be worth it in the end!

tonyk

#6 Post by tonyk »

I gave up on eating snacks between meals. It's too much hassle to keep cleaning my teeth. On the other hand, it is one way of losing weight. :shock:

Kalia

#7 Post by Kalia »

Actually that kind of worries me, as before this I've been trying to gain weight.. been stocking up on Complan nutrition drinks, guessing by the end of the month I will be absolutely sick of the taste. ^^

tonyk

#8 Post by tonyk »

You should be able to eat soft foods like fish, shredded chicken, mashed potato, rice, beans, bread (without the crust), soup, ice cream, etc. I considered it an advance when I could eat a tuna sandwich!

Tony

Kalia

#9 Post by Kalia »

Those are all great ideas, thankyou! I had some mashed potato yesterday with a ton of butter, and about 6 tbsp of vegetable oil - not exactly healthy but at least I'm keeping the calories up!

HollyHan

#10 Post by HollyHan »

Hi Kalia. I know you posted this ages ago but I’ve just had my lingual brace put on 3 days ago and am in the exact same situation you were.
My main concern is that my teeth just can’t meet together so I can’t chew.. did this go away for you because I honestly can’t see how id manage this for 2 years :(
Thank you x

Kalia

#11 Post by Kalia »

Hi Holly, I will start by saying unequivocally: it gets better, and the first 2 weeks of having linguals will be the worst they ever feel, (and about 10x worse than they will ever feel again) for the rest of your treatment. For me, the tooth pain and eating problems were completely gone after about 1 month. After about 2 months, I got to the point where I never even noticed or thought about the braces outside of brushing my teeth, and that's how it's stayed over the rest of the past 2 years.

Specifically on teeth not meeting and struggling with chewing -- chewing with linguals in is something that your mouth sort of has to figure out on its own. Take it slow and build up to more complex foods, and your mouth will eventually find the most efficient way to chew, (personally I use my molars a lot.) If you're really having difficulties, ask your orthodontist if they can build up some blue dental cement on your teeth. It looks a bit like this: https://revealsmile.files.wordpress.com ... c00302.jpg and it's raised up from your teeth in order to give you more of a surface to chew on.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :) x

HollyHan

#12 Post by HollyHan »

That’s amazing. I’m so so glad you replied. Can’t wait to get these two weeks over and done with.. mouth hurts loads :(((((.
The chewing thing is really getting me down because I’m losing weight and feeling faint a lot because I can’t eat properly! Also not being able to go out for dinner with friends is the worst. But very very relieved it sorts itself out in the end!
Can’t thank you enough for replying! Xx

Kalia

#13 Post by Kalia »

Just take it day by day, and you'll get through it. :)

I also had trouble getting enough calories, what I ate a lot of at the beginning was: a big bowl of mashed potato with a ton of olive oil and butter in it, lots of smoothies blended with fruits, oats, full-fat milk and nutritional powders, a ton of dairy like yogurts and milk, blended soups full of high calorie root vegetables, and really soft fruits like poached pears. I also did things like make really mushy rice, or take the skin off sausages/chicken and crumble it up to soften it. Definitely try and eat as much as you can and you'll feel a lot better - and don't be afraid to take painkillers if the pain gets too much, especially when you're trying to sleep. If your tongue is in pain, use the dental wax your ortho should have given you on any sore spots.

But good luck!! x