Adult concerns about braces

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wibble

Adult concerns about braces

#1 Post by Wibble »

I apologise for the adult content of this post, but it is a genuine concern. I’m 37, male and have a smile I prefer to hide due to overbite and crooked teeth. My dentist has informed me that it could be fixed with Lingual braces but I am single and dating (females). I’ve read elsewhere about lisping however will it cause a problem for oral sex and kissing please?

I intend to make an appointment to see an orthodontist soon. Part of the reason for considering braces is self-improvement and I am only just returning to dating so I would like to be fully aware of possible consequences before making a decision.

p.s
I noticed the other thread, however my question is slightly different and gender specific and will hopefully get more response.

2bigreddogs

Re: Adult concerns about braces

#2 Post by 2bigreddogs »

Have you considered Iinvisalign or the inman aligners or other type of removable brace?

Wibble

#3 Post by Wibble »

Thanks for replying. My dentist didn’t think Invisalign would give the best results and has suggested it’s likely I would need a fixed brace for part of the treatment; I haven’t heard about Inman aligners before though so will ask about that. My appointment with the Orthodontist is on the 29th so will know more soon.

A removable brace would certainly make life a little easier.

bracehanne

#4 Post by bracehanne »

Its been a while since you posted this, but I'll answer anyway.

I have lingual braces right now, and kissing is no problem. Maybe the first few days the front teeth are a little sore, but after that it should be okay! Oral sex should also be fine.. I am a hetero girl, so I don't have any experience going down on other girls, but since the braces are behind your teeth I can't imagine she would notice.

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

Lisping is a sound made when you talk.. How could that affect the items you mention... Now there are a few areas that braces could affect.. 1) Spitting.. you will generate more saliva half the time, and have dry mouth the other half. 2) Drooling,,, you will, 3) There will be times where your teeth are so sore you want nothing to touch them.. That is where you should avoid doing any extracurricular activities.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom