Upper and Lower Incognito or just Upper

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Askme

Upper and Lower Incognito or just Upper

#1 Post by Askme »

Hi all,

So it's down to the wire (sorry couldn't resist :D ). I need to make a decision between having Incognito on both arches or going for just the Upper Linguals and Lower ceramics. The only reason I was looking at ceramics on the lowers was for comfort and potentially shorter adaption period for the infamous lisp.

If I go both, the plan is for me to get the lower lingual first and then 6 weeks later get the upper. For those that have done both arches, which arch caused the most discomfort and speech issues? Nervous that i'll have 2 adaption periods and be spitting in peoples faces twice as long as I should and in general it will be more difficult with 2 arches (nowhere for my tongue to hide)

For those that had ceramics on the lower (apart from cost) was there another reason you went this approach and if you could do it again would you change to both arches?

Ever since I made the decision (at 38) to get my teeth fixed, I've been googling like a mad man every spare hour. So hoping I can get a few insights from all you experienced lingualists.

Thanks

winwired

Re: Upper and Lower Incognito or just Upper

#2 Post by winwired »

Glad you have a sense of humour, you will need it!! :lol:

So here is my view, but you need to balance that with the many many far more positive reviews and experiences on this forum, and I'm still only 11 weeks in.

BUT.... right now if I could rewind the clock I would go with lower ceramics and upper linguals or even full ceramics. The main reasons I wanted linguals was because I believed the "no-one will know" hype and I didn't want anyone to know. In reality (and I stress again that other people's experiences are obviously different) it is extremely obvious that something weird has happened to me and it would be far easier frankly to just have visible braces. My speech, whilst rallying and improving a bit after a few weeks, has recently hit rock bottom again, and I cannot get through a single conversation or business meeting without bad lisping, and struggling to get the words out. Admittedly, most people don't notice or don't care, but some do, and I do and it is really driving me nuts now.

If your treatment includes elastics further down the line, find out where your chosen ortho stands with that (i.e. night only or most of the day). If they insist on most of the day then again in my opinion there is very little benefit in going for the invisible lingual route... (see the post from cs2thecox a few days back with useful info on elastics with linguals and a better experience).

I have a very very small mouth, and it makes things very difficult to work with, nowhere for the tongue to rest, impossible to clean (despite the wonderful Waterpik).

Eating/chewing is still a problem. But I experience very little actual pain and discomfort, and no ulcers since weeks.

So in my head, lower ceramics would give me more room for the tongue and that is what I would have chosen with hindsight, assuming it would have been possible with my bite (which is also problematic).

I had my lower and upper fitted at the same time. I had already booked a week off work following my appointment so when I walked in and my ortho hit me with "we might just fit the lowers today" I was really quite annoyed as I had been led to expect a full fitting. So we went with a full fitting and I'm not clear whether that was the right thing or not, but I couldn't have afforded to take another week off after the second fitting (of course I might not have needed to).

Good luck with your decision making, I wish I had spent longer researching and weighing up options before I actually made the decision, and I didn't find this forum until after I had started. At the end of the day you have to remind yourself why you want it, remind yourself that the end result should be great, and then be prepared for some ups and some downs.

And don't take too much notice of my recommendation, as my experience has probably been one of the most negative on here! :D

Askme

#3 Post by Askme »

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Really helps to hear others experiences.

Since my last consult I have been bouncing between all the options. Once I think I've decided, I read something else and change my mind again. Funnily enough, 2 of my 4 ortho consults recommend going with full lingual or full ceramics - not a combination as it was hard to get the bite aligned with different systems (you would think it would be a general rule across all ortho's but having some say yes and now is a bit confusing).

#3 recommended to fit the lower lingual first and then 6 weeks later do the 2nd. Which I guess is meant to give you time to adjust but I had the exact same concern as you about 2 adjustment periods. I think Ortho's seem to brush of the speech issues saying it's a 2 week adaption period but from what I have read it takes a lot longer.

Keep us updated how you are doing. I hope it gets better for you.

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I don't have lingual braces but I have read some people say that they wished they had just gone with upper and lower ceramics instead of linguals. Mainly because people get linguals to be discrete, but everyone ends up finding out you have linguals on anyway, especially with the whole lisp thing. It really depends on how you think you'll deal with that aspect.
Regardless of what you decide, no one will make negative comments about them, so really the kind of braces doesn't matter. :)
Good luck making a decision! :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Askme

#5 Post by Askme »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have a few weeks before I need to make up my mind as I am travelling for Xmas to just need to get my impressions done before I go so I can get then fitted in January.

I must admit, I've clocked up some hours over the last month researching and researching everyone's experiences and have been going from being 100% deadset on Incognito's Upper and Lower to 100% ceramics. I'm back to Uppers and Lowers now :D

Who would have thought the actual process of deciding what to do would be so difficult......I really need to take a break from googling braces :lol:

chinglnc

#6 Post by chinglnc »

[quote="Askme"]Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have a few weeks before I need to make up my mind as I am travelling for Xmas to just need to get my impressions done before I go so I can get then fitted in January.

I must admit, I've clocked up some hours over the last month researching and researching everyone's experiences and have been going from being 100% deadset on Incognito's Upper and Lower to 100% ceramics. I'm back to Uppers and Lowers now :D

Who would have thought the actual process of deciding what to do would be so difficult......I really need to take a break from googling braces :lol:[/quote]

Hi I am wondering what did you go in the end? As I am wondering the exact same thing!!!

Can you share you experience please.

Thank you