Does Incognito brace speech impediment wear off?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brancherz

Does Incognito brace speech impediment wear off?

#1 Post by brancherz »

Hello everybody,

I'm a 22 year-old male. I got Incognito lingual braces (only upper jaw) 5 days ago. I did a comprehensive search before I got them and I'm a little confused. Some website say speech impediment (by which I mean Lisp) wears off in 2 to 4 weeks, some site say 3 months, some site say never, some site even says there would be no speech impediment at all.

Well, I got a severe speech impediment and have difficulty with r, l, t, s, z. ( especially with r, l and t. s and z are undetectable when I say things slow and clearly )
I'm starting to think that my speech impediment will never wear off and I'm really freaked out.

The other thing is I have no pain at all, and I'm completely adjusted to the braces. And my speech impediment has become worse than the first day I put the braces on.
I discovered that the arcwire between my two front teeth is really close to my tongue and my tongue stucks to the arcwire when I try to say things like "o-RTH-odontist" (That's the biggest issue, if I get to solve this I don't care about lisping "ss".)
I also have a space between my jaws when you look from sides.

I would like to know if my speech impediment will ever wear off, or even recover a little as the days go by.

Another thing, next month I'm going to have bottom braces (also lingual) put on with 2 teeth extraction. Will it cause me to lisp more?

Norrie

Re: Does Incognito brace speech impediment wear off?

#2 Post by Norrie »

In my experience it will wear off, but it could take a few months. I'm just over six months in, and finally at a point where my husband swears that he can't hear a lisp. I use silicone wax every day, and if I try to talk without it, I definitely still lisp (just because my tongue has to get used to some whole new thing).

I thought that the lisp would NEVER go away, but it did...eventually. I did everything possible to work on it: read the Rainbow Passage, sang along to music in my car, talked as often as possible, etc. But none of it really helped. Time was what did it.

Good luck!

Dervish

#3 Post by Dervish »

Mine went away to the extent that it mattered fairly quickly. The only time it (still) can come back if if I've got a sore tongue (strangely in the morning sometimes it is) or really tired or probably drunk (don't care then though).

You have to think about it for maybe 3-6 months but then more and more often you'll completely forget about them.

brancherz

#4 Post by brancherz »

Thanks for the quick and encouring replies. I did apply more wax than I used to last night. And this morning, I can notice "a little" improvement. At least I can speak without so much effort. I have a big presentation coming up in 3 months and I hope it recovers. My native language is Turkish and it has a lot of clear sounds like German, so I discovered that I can speak English much easier and clearer.

Norrie

#5 Post by Norrie »

Ugh, I hear you on the presentations. That's my biggest challenge at work.

How is your tongue feeling? I find that the more that I've talked and the more sore my tongue is, the worse that I lisp. In the beginning (and even still on hard days), I'll use an entire strip of silicone wax on the upper front teeth, and an entire strip on the bottom at bedtime. That allows my tongue to be really well-protected while I'm sleeping, and usually I wake up feeling much better. Do that a few nights in a row and see how it goes.

I bet that by three months from now, your presentation will go just fine.

cs2thecox

#6 Post by cs2thecox »

I'm 4 months or so in, and I still feel like I speak funny but NO-ONE else notices!

Well, apart from one of my best friends who came over from Australia the other week, but I'd kind of expect my best friends to notice.

I flew to Oman on business the DAY I got my braces, and did a big presentation the next morning. I felt like I was lisping like an idiot, and could hardly eat, but my clients weren't bothered at all.
Now I just make sure I talk nice and slowly and clearly and it's all fine.
I'll have my Ss back in a year or so...!

Norrie

#7 Post by Norrie »

Cs, from your signature, it looks like we're on a similar schedule. I'd race you to the finish line, but I think that you have me beat by at least a few months.

cs2thecox

#8 Post by cs2thecox »

My ortho was annoyingly vague on schedule.
Although I think that's better than giving me a date and then my teeth not co-operating and me being disappointed!

I have another adjustment on Thursday (rescheduled from a couple of weeks ago due to STUPID business travel...) so it'll be good to get an update on how my teeth are doing, and find out if I actually *do* have a rectangular wire on the bottom at the moment. I *think* it is, it's sharp-feeling between my molars like it is - the only place there's really space to see or feel it - but there's only so much I can see in the mirror with brackets, wire ligs and all getting in the way.

Sigh. Why do we do this again? :lol: