Play an instrument (trumpet/trombone) with Lingual Braces

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

giovanni

Play an instrument (trumpet/trombone) with Lingual Braces

#1 Post by giovanni »

Hello ,
My name is Giovanni and I write from Italy (sorry for my english )
I am writing because I really need help and your opinion on an important choice I have to do .

I write here in my country because I have not found anyone who has had a similar situation to mine.

I play the trombone and I'm going to put the lingual braces (particularly " incognito " which is a lingual braces more comfortable, this is what they say)

I would like to hear from any of you ( ideally brass SPAMMERS LIKE ME ) who has had a similar experience if :

With lingual braces you can still play ?
It 's so complicated as with traditional braces ? ( I brought traditional braces 10 years ago and it was really difficult to play, almost impossible, I had to change almost completely setting )

The staccato is concerned ? I will be slower?

After the initial period of adaptation will be almost as before , or I will have a deficit?

I apologize for the many questions , but for me this is an important choice , because I have to put braces for two years and my only job is music.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance for availability and sorry again for my bad English .

Giovanni

Orwellian

Re: Play an instrument (trumpet/trombone) with Lingual Brace

#2 Post by Orwellian »

Hey there, I play trombone as well, and I was looking into lingual braces, and was told that they just would slice my tongue to bits while I am tonguing. I am instead going to be getting traditional braces on March 4, 2014.

cs2thecox

Re: Play an instrument (trumpet/trombone) with Lingual Brace

#3 Post by cs2thecox »

Bit different, but I play the oboe and cor anglais.

I had traditional braces as a teenager, and really struggled to get my lips OVER the braces to get the right lip position. But figured it out in a matter of weeks and got used to it.

I can play with my linguals just fine. No interference for tonguing. Might have been a different story in the first few weeks (I didn't try) when everything was pretty raw, but certainly fine now it's all settled.

May well be different for brass though where you don't tuck your lips in like you do on the oboe... :?