Just got lingual braces

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

revealsmile

Just got lingual braces

#1 Post by revealsmile »

So on 28th of may i got my lingual braces just on top of my teeth as i have a bad case of crowding. I can say i have a love-hate relationship with 'em. They bother me a lot, but i don't regret that i finally took the plunge.
If you wanna follow my progress, i have a little blog in which i plan to post pictures with every new adjustment. You just have to type "revealsmile blog" in a search engine.
Goodluck to everyone :)

bmueller

Re: Just got lingual braces

#2 Post by bmueller »

Good luck! Glad to hear you took the plunge. You will probably get more followers on your blog if you include a link on your signature.

Wishing you the best during your journey!

Railroads

#3 Post by Railroads »

It will be worth the trouble, good luck.

revealsmile

#4 Post by revealsmile »

Thank you so much guys for wishing me good luck. I sure hope my teeth will look normal as soon as possible. It's been a little over a week since i got them and i can see no movement whatsoever. I know it's a slow process, but i've had these ugly teeth for way too much time so i'm impatient to see some results. I'm tired not being able to laugh at a funny joke. I can't wait for my first adjustment, the days are dragging. Next year, at my 27th birthday, i want to smile.
As a quick update on my lisp, i still hate it. Just the way i read on here, the more i try to speak clear, the worse i sound. I noticed that i only hear myself speaking with a lisp when i'm at work. When i'm home i sound pretty decent and i think it's because this is where i don't try that hard.
As for eating...Well, the molar buildups bother me, but i still managed to eat steak, french fries, sandwiches.
Oh and pain: on a scale from 0 to 10 it's a 0. NO pain. That's kind of bugging me, cause it makes me think the braces are not doing their job. Well, we'll see.

bmueller

#5 Post by bmueller »

About the lisping:
1. You hear yourself lisping worse than you actually sound to others
2. If I'm at the end of the day of lots of talking, I find my tongue gets tired and starts getting worse or more noticable

I promise it will get better and that nobody cares. Hey, it's temporary right? Not like you'll be lisping for the rest of your life.

Tiacat

#6 Post by Tiacat »

Hi all. I got my social 6STB brace fitted yesterday on my upper teeth. No pain as yet and the fitting was fine. I have blocks to open up my bite to prevent damage to the brace. I am lisping and feel very tired as I am breathing differently with my mouth sitting in a different position. Eating isn't too good - feels like I am eating metal! I am grateful to find this thread to share experiences. I should be done in 20 weeks! That's 19 weeks 6 days!!

revealsmile

#7 Post by revealsmile »

Hi Tiacat and welcome to the STB braces wearers club! I don't know why, but everytime i read about the hardships newly-braced people have to go through i get all giggly inside and i wanna burst in laughter. It's really funny, cause i know how much frustration you can accumulate sometimes.
19 weeks and 6 days :D you're too funny; i can't believe you hate your braces THAT bad.

Tiacat

#8 Post by Tiacat »

Thank you - you can stop laughing now ;-). The braces aren't THAT bad really, its just the talking I'm struggling most with though even that's not too bad. I have one tender tooth tonight which is reassuring! I read your blog and I get what you mean about lack of pain. Sorry your adjustment was an anti-climax. My first one is 23rd July so close to your next one. Tongue slightly stinging tonight but really not much. So now that you're no longer a newby do you still lisp? How long will you have them for? Speak soon.

revealsmile

#9 Post by revealsmile »

Wow, you looked over my blog posts. It's kind of embarrassing, because i know how horrible my teeth are; i never show my teeth in real life.
Oh, sometimes, my tongue becomes a little bit sore because of the two brackets near the back molars. But it's never something painful. I rinse with mouthwash (oh, the tears) and the next day i'm brand new.
My lisp is still there, but i think i just got used with the way i talk now. For the first days i felt EXTREMELY self conscious about my speech (at work), but i'm starting to learn to live with it as it doesn't bother me that much anymore. But, in all honesty, i'm not required to do a lot of talking at work. So yep.
Kill me now, but i swear i haven't asked for how long i will be wearing braces. Maybe i'll ask next time i see my ortho. Judging by the way my teeth look like, i'm willing to say about 3 years. But then again, that's what i estimate. Plus my teeth are stubborn little...things, they don't want to move. I can't even see how would that be possible, since there is no space.
Don't you have pictures of your smile? I'm curious as to what your teeth look like now.
(oh, hey, please excuse my english, i'm doing my best to write correctly, but i can't)

Tiacat

#10 Post by Tiacat »

Lol yes I did read the blog - i thought that was the point of them ha ha. Wow 3 years is a big commitment. Well done for being so determined. It will be so worth it. My friend had hers straightened with an Inman Aligner in 9 weeks which is what spurred me to act. Hers look fab. I've been told 20-24 weeks for mine though. I'm telling myself its half a pregnancy lol and I've done two of those! Has your ortho filed them a tiny bit yet? Mine did ever so slightly which probably gives the space causing the ache - the next one along aches slightly today.

Thanks for the mouthwash tip. Will try it if it gets bad. Feels fine today. I slept with a teeth guard in last night. It was nice not to feel the metal bumps for a bit!

Tomorrow is a challenge I'm not looking forward to - first day at work with it and we're on a Corporate Away Day (groan). I'm sure like you I will adapt and I only spend 1-2 days in the office and don't always have to talk a great deal either thank goodness!
I do have pics but don't know how to share with you? Your English is great don't worry about that!

revealsmile

#11 Post by revealsmile »

Nope, my ortho didn't file the enamel of any of my teeth. He told me he just wants to leave the archwire do its job slowly. But my ortho wasn't recommended by any of my friends, so i'm not sure he knows what he's doing.
Tiacat, I thought you could just post the "pre-braces" pictures on here. I think everybody would be curious to see the before and after transition. Don't you want to share the experience with the community :) ?

Tiacat

#12 Post by Tiacat »

Aha! I'm a new member so can't yet post photos. Once I've done 7 posts i can so bear with me. I think mine are quite crooked so can't imagine yours would take 3 years. He also said that the first bit would be getting it to do its work very slowly. Still no pain or anything so like you I'm just hoping it's doing its job!

Dervish

#13 Post by Dervish »

I had a look at your blog. Don't worry you'll be amazed at what braces can do. Sometimes it'll feel like nothing is happening then all of a sudden you'll notice big changes. I recently found shots from before I got them and find them almost funny how bad my teeth were!

revealsmile

#14 Post by revealsmile »

Hello Dervish and thank you for your encouraging words. I never smiled with my teeth in pictures, but i have the confidence that i will someday. Do you have a blog with pictures so i can take a look?

As an "omg" fact, due to the metal spring (is that the way it is called?) i'm starting to develop a gap between my front teeth...And i started going out with a cute guy. Gosh how i hate it and i think it is just going to be more and more obvious. I know, brace world problems...

Norrie

#15 Post by Norrie »

Any update on how it's going now? Are you seeing any movement?

I just got my Incognitos on six days ago, and I'm sort of hating it so far. The lisping and eating are my two main struggles. I seem to have weaned myself off of my Motrin dependency, but am still using a metric ton of silicone wax.

It's nice to see that others have gone down the same path.