got braced today

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ondina

got braced today

#1 Post by ondina »

after years of hesitating i finally took the plunge today: i decided to go for lingual braces because i really dreaded people seeing braces on my teeth
now that i ve got these linguals on, i have realised that people will notice anyway because i can hardly speak!
boy, i had pictured all sort of things like pain but speaking is next to impossible - I have a terrible lisp and the more i speak the worse it seems to get
and i cant close my mouth properly because of a bump thing on my back teeth
i really hope it will get better, on Monday I have got to speak in front of 50 people and at this moment I just don't know how i'm gonnan manage it
also - my mouth feels terribly dry all the time
i have to wear these babies for two whole years, a rather depressing thought - but I guess everybody feels that way, right?
really not looking forward to it at all

Carlosis

Re: got braced today

#2 Post by Carlosis »

Hi,

We're in the same boat, i got mine put in just over a week ago.

Did you get upper, lower or both? I only have lowers in for now, getting uppers put in next month. My speech is slightly affected but since getting them it has improved so don't worry too much! the sound in your head is always more severe than what others can hear.

I've got 2 years ahead of me too so we can complain about it together ha.

Carl.

ondina

#3 Post by ondina »

I got both on the same day, it only took about an hour - didn't know that some orthodontists did one jaw at the time. Seems the better option to be honest.
Now my tongue is getting attacked from all sides. I haven't tried to eat all day, cos swallowing is hard so I'm afraid to find out what eating will be like. I'll try some soup later on.
There seems to be no space at all for my tongue. Two of my top teeth will have to be rotated or something in a few months so I have got very bulky brackets on these two teeth. Completely invisible, which is nice - but i'm starting to think if i shouldn't have been less vain and gone for the regular braces. I'm sure they don't hurt as much as these ones.
Looking forward to next week as apparantly i'll be feeling a lot better.

Carlosis

#4 Post by Carlosis »

How are you feeling a few days in? it's been 12 days since i got my brackets installed and i'm pretty much use to them now. Even eating is getting easier on the tongue, i've not used wax in a few days and my tongue has stopped getting cut, i guess the skin is building up resilience to it!