how are you doing with talking?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Norrie

Re: how are you doing with talking?

#16 Post by Norrie »

keybgamer wrote:I'm gonna spend a week-2 weeks in solitary confinement after i get bonded. :oops:
I am so, so glad that I took four days off work, worked one, and then had another three days off. Not because I was in pain, but because I was just so dang frustrated by eating and speaking. It's been two weeks as of today, and the eating is much better (I can eat thick, oatmeal-type stuff easily), and the talking seems better in the mornings. Slooooow, but steady.

Mostly I just keep telling every single person that I come across that I got braces, so they understand the lisp. Totally defeats having lingual braces, but whatever. :P

My 12 year old daughter (who has regular braces), has to ask, "what?" or "pardon?" after every.single.thing I say, She still can't understand me.

keybgamer

#17 Post by keybgamer »

Norrie wrote:
>
>
> I am so, so glad that I took four days off work, worked one, and then had another
> three days off. Not because I was in pain, but because I was just so dang frustrated
> by eating and speaking. It's been two weeks as of today, and the eating is much
> better (I can eat thick, oatmeal-type stuff easily), and the talking seems better
> in the mornings. Slooooow, but steady.
>
> Mostly I just keep telling every single person that I come across that I got braces,
> so they understand the lisp. Totally defeats having lingual braces, but whatever.
> :P
>
> My 12 year old daughter (who has regular braces), has to ask, "what?" or "pardon?"
> after every.single.thing I say, She still can't understand me.

:D I should just stop being a big baby and realize that if i wanna get better, i have to toughen up and go through with it.
I hear wax and silicone generally improves the speech though...any experience, Norrie?

Norrie

#18 Post by Norrie »

I think that the wax really helps, or maybe I just have a psychological dependency on it now. On bad days, I use a full strip across the top, and another full strip across the bottom. On better days, I just use 1/2 up top and 1/2 on the bottom. Right now I have none on the bottom (trying it out), and 1/2 up top.

I've gone two full days without wax, and it was a bad idea both times. I think that I'm just sort of going to depend on wax to get me through. And I do think that it helps with speech, because my tongue knows that it's "safe" to touch the teeth up front.

keybgamer

#19 Post by keybgamer »

[quote="Norrie"]I think that the wax really helps, or maybe I just have a psychological dependency on it now. On bad days, I use a full strip across the top, and another full strip across the bottom. On better days, I just use 1/2 up top and 1/2 on the bottom. Right now I have none on the bottom (trying it out), and 1/2 up top.

I've gone two full days without wax, and it was a bad idea both times. I think that I'm just sort of going to depend on wax to get me through. And I do think that it helps with speech, because my tongue knows that it's "safe" to touch the teeth up front.[/quote]

Great, gonna pre-order a tubload full of them. :lol:

Norrie

#20 Post by Norrie »

I used traditional wax for exactly three minutes. It crumbled, and completely fell apart in my mouth. I'm not sure the brand that we're not allowed to mention, but I order them on Amazon. So far I've only gotten lots of 10, but I think that next time around, I'll order 50.

keybgamer

#21 Post by keybgamer »

:) since I'm new to this forum, I didn't know we were not allowed to mention brands. my bad.

Lalaloo

#22 Post by Lalaloo »

I am lisping, but this is just my 3rd day with braces.