Got lingual braces recently and eating seems impossible

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

northface

Got lingual braces recently and eating seems impossible

#1 Post by northface »

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Got braces on my upper arch one week ago and can't eat solid food at all. The problem is that I've got two teeth pulled to make space, and now I'm chewing on the wire where the teeth are missing. I feels like the hole things is going to break. I guess the problem will continue as long as the gap exist? On the good side. My speech is OK and I'm not very soar. :) And I don't have to look nerdy. But eating is terrrible.

Does anyone have experience with missing teeth and lingual braces?

PS: I'm new here, and english is not my first language, so bear with me.... :)

Tobilei

Re: Got lingual braces recently and eating seems impossible

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Hi, I don't have lingual braces but I do have a gap. I felt like the wire was going to cut my tongue open when I chewed or like I was going to break the wire. I get a little rubber tube put on the wire between the 2 teeth and across the gap and it feels much better. Not sure if this is an option with linguals but worth asking your orthodontist about in case it is.

Not being able to chew due to sore teeth I think is just how it is. It took me about 3 or 4 weeks to be back to normal food.

busy bee

#3 Post by busy bee »

I have a lingual brace on my upper arch with an extraction gap. At first it was so hard to eat and it felt like the wire was going to cut through my tongue. I couldn't imagine how I was going to get used to it but I did. Think it took a couple of weeks before it started to settle down and a bitl onger still until I felt like it wasn't restricting my diet so much. It will get easier

cs2thecox

#4 Post by cs2thecox »

[quote="Tobilei"]Hi, I don't have lingual braces but I do have a gap. I felt like the wire was going to cut my tongue open when I chewed or like I was going to break the wire. I get a little rubber tube put on the wire between the 2 teeth and across the gap and it feels much better. Not sure if this is an option with linguals but worth asking your orthodontist about in case it is. [/quote]

Yes, it's an option with linguals!
I have an implanted tooth that doesn't have a bracket on (as we don't want to move it!), and the wire goes behind it with a little plastic tube over the wire so it doesn't act like a cheese-wire to my tongue! OK so I don't have a missing tooth, but I still have the little tube with linguals. It's my upper left 6 but I'm not sure that makes a difference :D

Only 3 days in at the moment...