Can Lingual Braces correct a midline misplacement?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandrake

Can Lingual Braces correct a midline misplacement?

#1 Post by mandrake »

Hello,

I have my appointment to ask the feasibility of using lingual braces to fix a midline misplacement. I'm missing 1 lateral incisor and as result my front incisor has moved around 1.5mm-2mm to the left, a well as a small gap between them. Although I have to wait for the expert opinion I'd like to get my central incisors moved to the right and then put a dental implant to replace my lateral incisor.

I've to be in front of the customer the majority of the day so my concern is:
- Can I use lingual braces to fix a midline misplacement+closing gaps?
- How can you do to avoid a big gap during the treatment? In my case I would have to make some room to put the dental implant but I guess you can not put the implant until you're completed with your orthodontia?

Also, what is the minimum space required to get a dental implant done?

I would appreciate if you guys give me some answer based on your experience or in some well known similar case

Thanks!

jwagonstar

Re: Can Lingual Braces correct a midline misplacement?

#2 Post by jwagonstar »

My ortho told me midline corrections are absolutely possible. I'm on month 4 of my treatment and haven't seen much progress in that particular area, but my (novice) understanding is that this will happen once elastics get involved.

Anyone else know more? I'm curious.

anaore

#3 Post by anaore »

[quote="mandrake"]Hello,

I have my appointment to ask the feasibility of using lingual braces to fix a midline misplacement. I'm missing 1 lateral incisor and as result my front incisor has moved around 1.5mm-2mm to the left, a well as a small gap between them. Although I have to wait for the expert opinion I'd like to get my central incisors moved to the right and then put a dental implant to replace my lateral incisor.

I've to be in front of the customer the majority of the day so my concern is:
- Can I use lingual braces to fix a midline misplacement+closing gaps?
- How can you do to avoid a big gap during the treatment? In my case I would have to make some room to put the dental implant but I guess you can not put the implant until you're completed with your orthodontia?

Also, what is the minimum space required to get a dental implant done?

I would appreciate if you guys give me some answer based on your experience or in some well known similar case

Thanks![/quote]

I have exactly the same problem but with my canine. I was hoping to fix it with invisaligns but im not sure if this is possible.

Quincypea

#4 Post by Quincypea »

New member here, but I think I can answer your question.
I'm actually getting my mid-line corrected at the moment via Incognito Braces. My bottom midline is a bit too far to the right while my top midline is far in the left side.
My bottom is moving faster than the top because the doctor created some space for it by pulling a tooth to make room for the my overcrowded bottom teeth. The top is moving a bit slower since it seems like there is less space so my ortho has to push everything to the right side to center my midline.

Ortho says how much shift there is depends on how much more space there is to shift to the right (for the top). It's been almost 4 months and my bottom alignment is almost straight and my top has moved quite considerably. Everyone's case is a bit different but I did notice my ortho has to "uncrowd" some of my teeth before shifting the whole row one way or another is possible.

So yes in short it is possible, but there may be some limitations depending on your teeth condition (how crowded or if there is space to push the whole row/make room etc).

Quincypea

#5 Post by Quincypea »

Sorry for double posting, but I also considered invisalign for aligning my teeth's mid-lines - the ortho told me it wasn't possible in my case (not sure about other cases) because it required a lot of force that invisalign wasn't able to give.

Double Incognito

#6 Post by Double Incognito »

I am definitely banking on the answer YES. Brand new member here. 40 yr old female. When I was a teen my idiot dentist pulled 2 teeth on one side of my upper and 3 on the other, hence my midline shift. As the cost of braces was really only for cosmetic reasons, my dad didn't feel it was necessary to part with the approx. $1000 at the time, not that I really wanted braces at 15 anyway. Over the years I looked at correcting it, once seeing my daughter's orthodontist, who quoted me $6000 plus an additional $2000 gum surgery would be needed, as well as an extraction. I just didn't think I could be part of his "assembly line", so left them as is.

Fast forward to my 40th birthday last April, and I noticed my bottom teeth were thinning, looking shaved off. Last fall I noticed a piece of one bottom tooth chipped off. So my teeth have shifted enough to cause the degradation of my bottom teeth (my teeth are perfectly white, and never had a cavity, other than my midline shift). I consulted with another ortho, who made me feel much more comfortable, would not need the gum surgery, and offered me the option of the Incognito braces which, while pricey at $8000, seemed like a slam dunk for me, as I'm very active socially and professionally and well, I guess just plain vain. LOL

I got the brackets bonded and the bottom wire put on 3 days ago, and I am sore! :( I took an Ativan to get through the 3 hours that took. My spirits are down, my tongue feels lacerated and I can't get rid of the lisp. I normally sing in public every week, so not sure how I'm going to pull this off.... Been surviving on soup and my Vitamix (wonderful amazing product, BTW, even if you don't have braces). Was so hungry last night I thought I would take a bite of a Triscuit and almost cried from the pain. Bonus is that I've lost 5 lbs in 3 days. It's probably mostly water anyway.

My extraction is scheduled for Mar. 12, then the top wire will go on Mar. 21, along with a bonded "fake" tooth for the gap that she will shave down as the gap closes, then I can look forward to the whole process starting over. Along with shifting my front uppers over, she will then bring the back teeth forward to close the gap, so I will not need an implant. And they will put a bar across the top of my mouth. Yay. :|

Both orthodontists also told me that correcting my midline shift was only viable with braces (traditional or Incognito), Invisalign was not an option, nor even veneers.

Grateful that there is this forum to know I'm not the only one going through this. I'm going to go whip up some homemade cream of mushroom soup now....