26 y.o. with Ceramic -> Lingual + the trimmings.

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crustybread

26 y.o. with Ceramic -> Lingual + the trimmings.

#1 Post by crustybread »

My experiences.... was 25 when I got upper ceramics from 3M. All was well, they were very subtle and were visibly moving my teeth. No speech defect, just more drooling than usual and slight initial scratching on my cheek. Very easy.

Then 4-5 months later moved country and the orthodontist had lingual braces. The cost was much higher but it seemed like a good move. So I had the lower linguals applied at the same time as the upper ceramic was removed. The first day was great, slight speech defect and no pain. The next day my tongue realised what had happened and was ulcerated and bleeding. No hot or spicy foods or talking too much. This lasted about 7-10 days, then all was fine again. Speech was very slightly affected but nothing serious.

The next month the uppers came and the lisp arrived. Same situation as the lowers for 7-10 days, then all was fine again. So in the long run these braces aren't a problem.

Yesterday had both my upper first premolars removed and two microscrews implanted in my palette between the molars on both sides. These are to anchor the front teeth to pull them back and close the gaps where the premolars went missing.

This isn't painful at all. Today, my speech is just getting used to the extra elastic (2 days max, at a guess) but eating kinda hurts because the microscrews are putting pressure on the teeth. Lots of bleeding too. But I think it'll be worthwhile as I can feel the pull onthe front teeth strongly already.

Bear in mind folks, I used no wax and no painkillers at all through all this, even last night and today after having two teeth removed and implants fitted. So if you do, it'll be even easier. Of course I had about 10 shots of novocaine for the procedures yesterday because I kept feeling pain throughout.

In my eyes, moving from labial to linguals was a good thing (photos look so much better without yellowing elastic all over the place), and the short-term discomfort and awkwardness is far outweighed by the elimination of any clue that I'm wearing a brace.

Any questions, I'll try to help.

AG

#2 Post by AG »

WHAT KIND OF BRACES DO YOU HAVE? LINGUALCARE OR ORMCO BRACES?

crustybread

#3 Post by crustybread »

LINGUALCARE I BELIEVE, BUT I'M NOT SURE.