elastics

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

linguallady

elastics

#1 Post by linguallady »

Okay this may sound like a silly question, but...
Do you think I have to mention to the orthodontist that I want my overbite/overjet corrected or is this just part of the whole process? Ive had braces for 6 months now and no mention of them as yet. I have another 2 and a half years to go so maybe its still to early for elastics im not sure.

Any advice?

Thanks guys

spudly

Re: elastics

#2 Post by spudly »

Hello
I am getting my braces fitted next week and I have a 9mm overbite, she told me I will wear elastics most of my 18 month treatment

X
Age 48 years young
bands to be fitted 15th June
Bottom metal braces fitted 22nd June
Top ceramic fitted 20th July

coconutqueen

#3 Post by coconutqueen »

You can probably take it as given that your ortho plans to correct your overbite/jet but if you're wondering about when/whether elastics are part of this process, then there is no harm in asking about it.

instigatelove

#4 Post by instigatelove »

Do you have iBraces? If so, have you seen your "finished" molds that show what your teeth will look like because I imagine you would be able to tell. I would definitely bring it up although I would think he would assume you'd want it fixed.

BraceFace2o1o

#5 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

To put your mind at rest I think you would be best to ask your ortho about this. Maybe just ask something like "so how will my overbite/overjet be corrected? will I need elastics for that?". So you're not directly questioning whether it is getting corrected, you're just asking how it will be corrected and then if it wasn't the plan they should then tell you.

I would have thought it would have been corrected, or as much as possible but sometimes we just need to confirm for our own peace of mind. I wouldn't want to get to the end of treatment hoping that my ortho would eventually start working on it and have them say you are ready to be debraced. I've been there (with my bite) and it's very frustrating and now my treatment time is going to be extended.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos