Loose teeth

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

linguallady

Loose teeth

#1 Post by linguallady »

Guys.. I have a question.

I've been in braces for 6 months now (lingual uppers and normal lowers). I have just had my front top tooth braced this week, since it was extremely skew and twisted. The problem is that my bottom tooth has been hitting into the top bracket of that tooth and it has become loose and wobbly. Also when i sleep at night there is constant pressure on this tooth from my bottom tooth ( I clench my jaw to make matters worse) and I wake up with incredible pain in that particular tooth every morning. The only part of my entire top and bottom arches that touch is that top tooth bracket against that lower tooth!!

Of course, i am worried about root resorbtion as well as damage or chipping of my bottom teeth.

Also, the top tooth in question is very flared and it still manages to hit my bottom one. What I'm wondering is how on earth its going to work when they bring that tooth in? there will be even less space!

I have a huge underbite/overjet but have opted not to have surgery. How do elastics work and would they be able to solve my bite problem?

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Loose teeth

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

With normal uppers and lingual lowers elastics will NOT help. As a fellow orthodontic person (in braces) I HIGHLY suggest you switch to all normal if you want your bite fixed.
Jenn Medeiros

linguallady

#3 Post by linguallady »

Thank you I'll be sure to speak to my ortho regarding this.

Any thoughts on the loose tooth?

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I get looose teeth all the time. The tooth gets loose so that it came move into a new position then it stays there for a while and then moves again until it goes into the desired position. Completely normal. In fact my two front teeth are loose right now.
Jenn Medeiros

Elegra

#5 Post by Elegra »

Hey linguallady

I think it would be good if you made an appt with your ortho/dentist asap and tell him about the teeth hitting the top brackets.

I had this as well as it was agony, as soon as my bottom teeth hit the top brackets it caused pain in my top teeth. Plus, like you, I would grind at night and wake up in more pain.

So my dentist built up my back molars so my front bite no longer met. This was really comfy and didn't affect eating or anything.

I find that now occassionally after I get my wires tightened that the teeth will hit the brackets for a day or two but then the teeth moves and it stops and it isn't painful at all.

Good luck, keep going! :D

instigatelove

#6 Post by instigatelove »

I was having issues concerning one tooth on the bottom hitting off of one on the top. I only have linguals on the top and nothing on the bottom so I went to CVS and bought a mouth guard to wear on the bottom. It was uncomfortable to wear so didn't last long, but it seems like I am not clenching as much now anyway. Maybe it will be temporary for you as well?