Bone loss

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Moh

Bone loss

#1 Post by Moh »

Hello Friends,

I just had x-rays of my teeth taken last week. The dentist said that the bone loss in my teeth was too much to allow for braces. Can you please look at this and tell if that is true. I am just trying to get more opinion on this.

Thanks for your reply.

Moh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Realizingadream

Re: Bone loss

#2 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi Moh:

I don't know anything about x-rays so I cannot comment on the pictures you put up, except I am jealous that you are able to put your pictures up here! A skill I hope to learn soon.

Anyway, I am 62 and had a CTX test, which was to see how "bio active" my bones/teeth are. In otherwords, how much activity is going on in them. The numbers turned out well and so now I will be braced in 2 weeks. The reason I had the CTX test was because I had taken a bone builder drug for 5 years about 6 years ago. They thought it might have changed (the the bad) the way my bones behave and remodel and stuff. But, it didn't.

How old are you and why do they think you don't have strong enough teeth? What is going on? And best wishes that you WILL get to continue treatment.

Hope this helps.

Real

Moh

#3 Post by Moh »

Hello Realisingsdream,

Many Thanks for your reply and it was a bit disappointing to hear that you put in five years of patience. We can only try things dentists tell. Isn't it?

I am 35 and the dentist told that I have lost a lot of bone from my teeth. My teeth are strong. I am able to crack hardest nuts. Lets see how it turns out. I am yet to consult a few Orthodontists.

Regards

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I would think orthodontists need to be very careful with patients who have a certain amount of bone loss or root resorption. I am not 100% and I could be wrong but I think that having braces and moving the teeth can cause further bone loss, maybe more so if we're an adult? so that would not be good at all if you already have bone loss.

A lot of people think it's all about the actual teeth, but our gums and bone are so important. If things aren't right below the gum then we need to be careful, no matter how good our teeth look above gum level.

Another thing is what is the reason for the bone loss. Periodontal problems? If so that needs to be seen to by a periodontist and after receiving treatment (possibly ongoing) a good oral hygiene routine needs to be continued from then on.

I can't personally comment on the x rays but I agree that you should consult another orthodontist at least to see what they say.

Good luck
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos