Getting braced tomorrow

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blueberrynights

Getting braced tomorrow

#1 Post by blueberrynights »

Hey,

So...tomorrow morning I will get my upper linguals and lower ceramics.
Somehow I regret my choice of the lower ceramics because they still can be seen. I wish I could go for lower linguals too. Has any of of you ever changed the type of braces during treatment?

However, all I wanna do now is run away. Not so much because of the braces, but because of the extractions I've got to have (upper premolars). I'm still afraid of making the wrong decision and worsen the situation because I already have TMJ problems :(

And as if all that isn't enough, I have meetings on thursday and wednesday. So, how do I learn to speak normally in 24 hours ;)? I have the weird thought, that MY lingual braces won't cause me any speech problems, haha..wishful thinking, I guess.

I would just love to keep in touch with people that are going through the same things :)

oasked

Re: Getting braced tomorrow

#2 Post by oasked »

Good luck!

I've just had lower linguals installed (upper linguals to be installed in several weeks), and have experienced some speech difficulties but I'm almost back to normal now in most situations. I doubt your orthodontist will install both top and bottom at the same time, so you'll probably only get one for the next month or so.

I haven't had any teeth out for a long time (I had 4 out about 10 years ago when I had my first round of orthodontic treatment) and it wasn't too painful - it was just weird being under local anaesthetic!

Don't worry too much about your speech - you'll soon get used to it. I've found that some people have looked at me a little differently, but they can't work out why I sound a little different. ;) Hopefully I won't suffer too much with my speech after I get my upper set of linguals installed - I've got to give a presentation the day after to the directors at my company! :S

Good luck with your treatment!

blueberrynights

#3 Post by blueberrynights »

Hey,

you were right, he only installed the top. They're in for about 1 1/2 hours and I have no, absolutely ZERO speech problems.
I sound exactly the same as before. Wow :)

Eating is difficult, but not because it hurts. My back teeth don't have contact anymore when I bite, so chewing is difficult, but I think I will find a way.

Still not happy about the extractions though...

kookoo80

#4 Post by kookoo80 »

Hi,

Just wondering how long the treatment is likely to last for?

blueberrynights

#5 Post by blueberrynights »

@kookoo80: About 1 1/2 to 2 years.
I decided to count down from 100 weeks. 2 down, 98 to go ;)

BracesKing

#6 Post by BracesKing »

May be you can try these first and then decide. I don't think ceramic braces look ugly. Many of my friends have ceramic.