My journey

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tinksqueak

Re: My journey

#31 Post by tinksqueak »

Hi diegorgeous

Just thought I'd drop you a note to say I finally took the plunge and had a consultation on Monday with Dr Chatoo, partly on the basis of your recommendation on here. I am so glad I did! He really put me at ease and was authoritative but still patient enough to answer all my questions. A really nice guy.

So, thank you!

One question if you have a moment:

He has given me quotes for both STBs and Incognito with the later being about £500 more expensive - which did you go for (did you have a choice as well?) and how are you finding the one you picked?

Your teeth look great already - looking forward to following the rest of your journey!

diegorgeous

#32 Post by diegorgeous »

tinksqueak wrote:Hi diegorgeous

Just thought I'd drop you a note to say I finally took the plunge and had a consultation on Monday with Dr Chatoo, partly on the basis of your recommendation on here. I am so glad I did! He really put me at ease and was authoritative but still patient enough to answer all my questions. A really nice guy.

So, thank you!

One question if you have a moment:

He has given me quotes for both STBs and Incognito with the later being about £500 more expensive - which did you go for (did you have a choice as well?) and how are you finding the one you picked?

Your teeth look great already - looking forward to following the rest of your journey!
Thanks!! ohh nice that you went to London Lingual. Dr Chatoo is nice, and really seems to knows his stuff. He did give me the choice of incognito or STBs...The incognito was £1000 more for me. He told me that both of them worked the same in his experience. The STBs do as good a job as the incognito plus he also mentioned that they are slightly smaller. That's why i chose them.
So far the STBs are fine. I think with all linguals, your first month or so will be hell, and then your mouth gets used to it. I don't know how the Incognitos would have been any different.
Pls let me know what you end up choosing. Hope you'll be documenting your journey as well :D
Than

diegorgeous

#33 Post by diegorgeous »

I had my ortho appointment today. My ortho seems really pleased with how things are going, and he said i'm keeping everything nice and clean and doing a fantastic job with that + wearing my elastics well :jump: Yayy

So today, i got my pontics shaved off...they are like shaved to almost half the gaps now :shock: ..so i pretty much have 4 huge spaces on each quadrant of my extraction gaps :GapToothed: .......sucky.....i'm going to look a hot mess for xmas :ThumbsDown:

I got new stronger powerchains and new elastics (bears). I had fox elastics before. I will continue to change my elastics three times/day because i want these gaps to be gone ASAP!!!

My teeth hurt ...but not soo much. Not as much as a wire change , so that's good. i can't believe its been almost 8 months. I really hope i'm done by month 18.

I'll come back with pics before the weekend : )

tinksqueak

#34 Post by tinksqueak »

Happy New Year Diegorgeous!

Just wanted to share a quick update - I'm off to Dr Chatoo on 20th January to get my upper linguals (I went for the STB brackets in the end). I am excited but nervous. Trying to get together all the things I'll need to minimise the pain as much as I can!

Did London Linguals give you anything when you had your braces fitted by way of wax etc? I know a few people have been sent away with a 'goodie bag' of bits and bobs but wasn't sure whether to stock up on wax and stuff in case they don't.

Also, you mentioned before that you'd found a painkiller of some sort that helped with the tooth pain... what is it? I think I need to get some!

Really enjoying following your journey - keep going!

diegorgeous

#35 Post by diegorgeous »

tinksqueak wrote:Happy New Year Diegorgeous!

Just wanted to share a quick update - I'm off to Dr Chatoo on 20th January to get my upper linguals (I went for the STB brackets in the end). I am excited but nervous. Trying to get together all the things I'll need to minimise the pain as much as I can!

Did London Linguals give you anything when you had your braces fitted by way of wax etc? I know a few people have been sent away with a 'goodie bag' of bits and bobs but wasn't sure whether to stock up on wax and stuff in case they don't.

Also, you mentioned before that you'd found a painkiller of some sort that helped with the tooth pain... what is it? I think I need to get some!

Really enjoying following your journey - keep going!
Happy New year!!...Oh that's great for you..you must be very excited. Well they gave me a tiny container with wax, some toothbrush, and orthodontic mouth wash and I believe some of those thread flossers

One thing which would be very useful for you is a waterpick. I got one and it's been amazing. I've never really used wax, only once or twice..i preferred for my mouth to adjust to the pain of the braces. And lastly, nurofen plus is amazing for pain. Just ask at boots. It really helps with pain. Make sure it is the 'plus' version as that is the strongest one.
It'll be great to see your progress. I should upload some progress pics!!

tinksqueak

#36 Post by tinksqueak »

Thanks for your reply and tips. Very useful! Waterpik and Neurofen plus on my shopping list!

tinksqueak

#37 Post by tinksqueak »

Just posting to say I got my top linguals fitted three days ago and have started a blog (called Inside I'm Smiling - get it?!) to document my journey - lots of photos, a record of my experience and tips and advice as I go along.

I'd love it if you'd come over and let me know what you think!

http://insideimsmiling.wordpress.com/

Still lisping away like a trooper... hope it improves before I go back to work in a couple of days time. Nervous!!!

alyssaroo27

#38 Post by alyssaroo27 »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm about to start a journey very similar to this one. I got molds taken for my lingual braces and I have a little over a month before they come in. I'll also have my four first premolars extracted. I'm excited but nervous to start this process.

One thing I've been wondering lately (and sorry if this has already been answered!) is when the front six teeth are being retracted, did you have any noticeable gaps between those first six teeth? I'm very nervous about that, but it's something I'm reluctantly going to deal with in order to get the results I want.

Thanks again! Can't wait to see how everything works out for you :)

tinksqueak

#39 Post by tinksqueak »

I have noticed a few tiny gaps appearing between my teeth as they shift but nothing big enough that anyone else would see. Saying that, my problem is overcrowding so there's not much room to spare, especially as I didn't have teeth extracted. My ortho says that once he has got the teeth most of the way into position he will need to file down a little of the enamel between my teeth to create a bit more room for the fine tuning.

Good luck with your journey - I feel really excited for every person I learn is going ahead with their linguals! The beginning will be very uncomfortable for you (sorry, have to be honest) but now I feel really comfortable with my braces and am sSO happy with the decision I made to get them!

uzi366

#40 Post by uzi366 »

thanks for sharing your experience i know its not easy.
8)

Undecided

#41 Post by Undecided »

Hi - thanks for sharing your journeys. Really interesting and a little bit scary!

Please could I ask how much you're paying at London Lingual for your braces? Their website says 'from £6000' but I know that some orthodontists can charge a lot more than their minimum price. I've had some consultations elsewhere in London and they're all a lot more expensive than this.

I've got an overbite and an overjet, among other problems.

diegorgeous

#42 Post by diegorgeous »

Undecided wrote:Hi - thanks for sharing your journeys. Really interesting and a little bit scary!

Please could I ask how much you're paying at London Lingual for your braces? Their website says 'from £6000' but I know that some orthodontists can charge a lot more than their minimum price. I've had some consultations elsewhere in London and they're all a lot more expensive than this.

I've got an overbite and an overjet, among other problems.
Hi
I think I paid about between £6700 - £7000. I think it was £6700 if my memory serves me right. The light stb brackets are cheaper and apparently smaller than incognito, which is £1000 more. My ortho has done an amazing job with my teeth and most importantly, my face!!. I'm like a brand new peron. It was worth every penny. People come up to me and tell me i have a beautiful smile all the time. im in the finishing stages : ). The only bad thing is sometimes you get sick of having stuff in your mouth, but you get used to it eventually and forget.