Would you be happy with these teeth?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sharp

Would you be happy with these teeth?

#1 Post by sharp »

I've had braces for 4 and a half years now.

My orthodontist says I've only got one more visit, and then its time to take them off.

I disagree and think my teeth look disgusting. I still have a huge overbite and some of my teeth aren't even lined up properly.

If you have a spare moment, can you have a look at the pictures I've attached and tell me whether you would be happy with these teeth after paying $11,000?

I have lingual braces on top and ceramic on bottom (lingual braces on bottom completely failed and I got ceramic after 3 years).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sharp

Re: Would you be happy with these teeth?

#2 Post by sharp »

one more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diegorgeous

#3 Post by diegorgeous »

hmmmm teeth alignment looks good but bite looks funny. Why does the top teeth totally cover the bottom. I'm not sure it should be like this. You should strongly explain your concerns to your ortho. Esp after paying so much!!!. Also, why did linguals fail on the bottom???

lilone

#4 Post by lilone »

Personally, I wouldn't let him take them off and I'd ask for another consult elsewhere (although your teeth themselves look quite nice). That deep bite is significant enough that many people get braces for a year or two just to fix that. I'm not a dentist but from my understanding, if your front teeth completely cover your bottoms, then you can cause damage to the bottom of the teeth and gums. It looks like your bottoms are tilted back a bit. Was this intentional on his part or were they always like that? Is this an ortho or family dentist who has done ortho training?

trossi

#5 Post by trossi »

Maybe its structural, because your teeth look great but it looks like the issue is your bite, that may require surgery though, get a second opinion and see if they suggest anything different. I had braces and lots of dental work but I need to go through it again because braces could not fix my bite, meaning it requires surgery. Goodluck

ShySmile

#6 Post by ShySmile »

NO. GO SEE SOMEONE ELSE ASAP. Do think about it just do it. I am no expert but they are not even 80% yet. Bite is off and upper and some lower teeth are not straight.

Goodluck, and dont feel embarrassed or guilty leaving your ortho to go elsewhere.

lu lu

#7 Post by lu lu »

Sorry but NO way.

I don't know if it's just your picture but your upper lateral incisors look like they are sitting slightly further back than the rest of your teeth. I've got that problem on 1 of my lateral incisors before braces and I won't expect him to take them off until that is in line with the rest and all my other problems are sorted.

Also your upper teeth don't look as straight and neat as the bottoms. I don't know if that's because you have linguals though.

Your bite looks bad. I think you can get away with a slight overbite but your's covers your entire bottom teeth which is a big No No.

I'd tell him your not happy and tell him your reasons why.

If his not very helpful look for a second opinion although to be honest I think i'd want to look for a second opinion anyway if he was ready to take my braces off at this stage. I wouldn't have much faith in him after.

Good luck and keep us updated :D

p.s - reading this back I sound harsh. I'm so sorry I don't mean for it to :oops:
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

BraceFace2o1o

#8 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

As everyone else has noted, you still have a considerable overbite (deep bite), did your Ortho say this was going to be corrected in anyway? Also your left (our right) lateral incisor still looks out of line to the rest of your upper teeth, but I am not sure if it's just the photos making it look this way.

You've been in braces 4.5 years, that's quite a long time and you mention your lower linguals failed and at the 3 year mark they were swapped for ceramic braces. I would discuss any of your concerns with your Ortho. I know sometimes it can feel intimidating or as if you're being picky, but you are paying for them to do you a service and seeing as your Ortho is planning on removing your braces real soon, I'd hurry up and let him know your concerns. Good luck.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

ShySmile

#9 Post by ShySmile »

Sharp- What did you end up doing? Let us know.Hope it all goes well.

lunadali

#10 Post by lunadali »

ok, I was told by my dentist that metal braces were the best to get, first off. So I am glad I couldn't afford the invisaligns, because I have heard some not so great things about those. Next, you have an overbite like mine. My dentist said the whole purpose of my braces was not just to straighten my teeth, but to correct the overbite. However, your jaw and teeth aren't mine, so it might be a different outcome for you. I know it seems like you spent a fortune already, and it hurts to drop more money into this. But you need to be happy with your results, not your ortho, you. :thumbsup:

sharp

#11 Post by sharp »

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your opinions. I needed to make sure I wasn't over reacting.

I raised some of my concerns with him, and I'm committed now to being as pedantic as I possibly can about not taking the braces off until they're as perfect as possible.

Bite is a problem I know. Don't know how that will get solved, as its been 4 and a half years now so if something is not happening now then will it ever? My bottom teeth now lean inwards. They didn't before I got braces.

I would leave this guy if I had to, and if I did, I would fight with every breath I have to get my money back, so he better fix my teeth or I will become very unpleasant.

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

sharp wrote: I would leave this guy if I had to, and if I did, I would fight with every breath I have to get my money back, so he better fix my teeth or I will become very unpleasant.
Well thank goodness you have the nerve to feel like this. I feel really bad when people don't have the correct results, but dont' have the nerve to demand better from the Ortho they paid a fortune to.
I think you're teeth themselves look great, but your bite is awful. Don't stop till you look in the mirror and love what you see.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

littleviolet

#13 Post by littleviolet »

I would'nt be happy to remove my braces if my teeth wern't perfect. Your paying big money to fix them, so whats the point of it all if it's not what you want? I would go to a different ortho if I were you, for a second oppinion on your bite. A lot of the time braces can't fix bite problems, they have to be fixed with orthodontic jaw surgery. You've had braces on for a very long time now, so I don't think braces will fix your bite problems now if they haven't already.

sharp

#14 Post by sharp »

I'm writing a letter to my orthodontist. If you have time can you please read it and tell me if I've missed anything...

Dear ___

As you know, I have had braces for almost 5 years. This is alot longer than I expected and things still appear to be moving slowly.

I'd like to outline what I think the problems with my teeth are, and I'd like you to tell me how they can be fixed and how long this will take.

- I still have a huge overbite
- My lower teeth still tilt inwards
- The midpoint of my upper front teeth does not line up with the midpoint of my lower front teeth
- My upper right central incisor is alot further forward than my left one
- My upper left lateral incisor is tilted forwards and inwards
- My upper right lateral incisor is tilted forwards
- My upper right canine tilts outward too much

- My right lower central incisor is slightly overlapping my left one. I think this is because it is being pushed by my lower right lateral incisor. The bracket on the lower right lateral incisor is near the edge of the tooth, not in the middle of the tooth, and I think it is tilting the tooth and pulling it towards the right central incisor

jessicamay

#15 Post by jessicamay »

Hi,

I think this is a really clear letter that puts your point across. I really hope your ortho sits up and takes notice.

If things don't improve quickly it may well be worth seeking some legal advice about contract law, you could maybe mention that this will be your next step in the letter.

Hope things look up for you very soon, I'm sure they will!!