Linguals fitted

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

canicula

Linguals fitted

#1 Post by canicula »

I drove down to see an orthodontist near Dublin to get a consult on Lingual braces. Just wanted to see if he thought I was suitable for lingual treatment and to compare the cost with that provided to me for ceramics by my ortho in Belfast.

So after taking, pictures, casts, x-rays and an oral exam he outlined to me the options. The usual labial options, the normal lingual option - send casts to lab in France to get individual lingual device made then fit that etc., and also an option for him to fit small lingual brackets and a wire himself. He said that he should be able to straighten out my upper front 6 teeth using this method. I said I'd trust his judgement.

So I now have lingual brackets on the upper front 4 teeth and a wire joining them. Apparently I have a very, very deep bite so I may bite some of these off. If this happens the doc will just refit them. At present I can't close my teeth the way I could when I left the house this morning :) as my front bottom teeth hit the brackets. Will need to go and buy a mouldable gumshield tomorrow to wear in bed. I have a non mouldable one the ortho gave me for tonight. Last time I had a mouldable gumshield was about 25 years ago when I played rugby.

Bearing in mind that I just need the "social six" straightened, has anyone come across this partial lingual approach? Would any of the resident doctors like to comment? Apparently I should see a marked improvement in 6 months but I'm likely to need about 12 months treatment due to the rotation in some of the teeth. My speech seems to be okay at present. Have client meetings all day tomorrow so that'll be a test to see if it is or not.

Cost wise this lingual option will be about the same as the labial ceramics quote I had. Having said that the cost wasn't a factor in the decision to use this approach. I also didn't have to pay anything today but was told to pay down the line when I'm happy with the results. Can't say fairer than that :D

So the journey has begun.

Ian

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

I have seen a few cases where this was done without the brackets at all. Just bonded the wire to the back of the teeth. Harder to do that way, but it can work. Surprised he thinks it will take 12 months for this though.
Good luck with your treatment!!!
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

canicula

#3 Post by canicula »

drrick wrote:Surprised he thinks it will take 12 months for this though.
Too long? Too short? My doc did say about 6 months with the extra time to correct the rotations.
drrick wrote:Good luck with your treatment!!!
Thanks.

Ian

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

too long
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

canicula

#5 Post by canicula »

drrick wrote:too long
Really. If it happens more quickly that'll be a bonus. Thanks for the replies. And thanks in general for taking the time to frequent this board.

Much appreciated.

Ian

blobert

#6 Post by blobert »

Hi Canicula,

Could you tell me the name of the dentist in (or near) dublin that does lingual braces? And perhaps an idea of how much they cost? I live in Dublin and am lkeen to find a dentist that does these.

I actually had regular old braces as a young teen but being a fool did not wear my retainer (a horrible big gumshield device that i was meant to bite on all day!) so my teeth have done a bit crooked again. I'm far to vain and old to get regular braces again, but these sound like a good solution.

And also, are the completely hidden from view? Affect your speech? So many questions, I know

Thanks in advance,
Robert

canicula

#7 Post by canicula »

Robert,

I replied to you via the PM you sent. Any other questions give me a shout.

Ian

canicula

#8 Post by canicula »

drrick wrote:Surprised he thinks it will take 12 months for this though.
Seems you were right to be surprised. I got the linguals removed today. So that was almost exactly 6 months :)

I've to go back in about 4 weeks to get a permanent retainer wire bonded onto the back of the incisors. I've got a clear plastic retainer for the next 4 weeks so I can remove it to allow my "normal" dentist to do some work. I've got some decalcification and staining on the edges of the lateral incisors where they were impacted on the backs of the central incisors. I have an appointment to get that looked at this Thursday. It'll require drilling and filling. I may also get my teeth whitened by the hygienist at my dentist so that may delay the fillings as the whitening affects the bonding properties of the filling compounds I'm told.

All in all I'm very happy with the results of the lingual work. I'd recommend it to anyone whose ortho says it's a suitable treatment regime. I'll post before and after pictures once the work is finally finished in a few weeks.

Ian