Lingual braces and impacted canine extraction

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LB

Lingual braces and impacted canine extraction

#1 Post by LB »

Hi, am new to this site and had Incognito braces fitted top and bottom 3 days ago. This site has been really helpful to me and made me feel a lot more positive as I've tried to adjust to the very strange feeling of all this metal in my mouth! I have a slightly sore tounge, but with lots of wax I seem to have mastered 99% of the speech problems I had. However, I am struggling with food - only my front teeth meet and so I'm mashing everything I eat until it resembles baby food.....what once took me 10 minutes to eat is now taking an hour!

I'm a bit concerned about an op I have in just over a week to extract two upper teeth and an impacted canine, which will involve cutting into the roof of my mouth and having to put in a fair few stitches. It isn't possible for them to re-site the impacted canine, so it will be removed. Has anyone had any experience this type of extraction, whilst wearing linguals and already struggling to eat? Also, I'm wondering how painful it will be initially to keep the upper brackets clean with the swelling from extractions and stitches. Any advice much appreciated!

geolinz

#2 Post by geolinz »

I had my impacted canine exposed about 2 months after I had my iBraces put on. I was really sore for a few days after the surgery, and I survived mostly on mushy food for a week. The impacted tooth was only on the right side of my mouth so I was able to eat with the left side after about a week. Cleaning was a little rough too, I mostly rinsed with salt water and then brushed very gently for a while. You should check out the post "iBraces/lingual braces in the treatment of impacted canines?â€

LB

#3 Post by LB »

Thanks geolinz - I'm starting to get the hang of cleaning these things now, so am feeling slightly less anxious. The salt water rinses are really helping my tongue, so will be good to use with the extractions. It's good to hear from people who have been through it already and you're right, if it does really hurt, just think long term!

ibraceface

#4 Post by ibraceface »

I had an impacted canine exposed with my braces about 15 months ago.

It's officially in place. And I am happy to report that I am no longer Gappy McGapster.

LB

#5 Post by LB »

Thought I'd post a response to this in case it's useful to anyone else having this procedure. I'm now on the other side of the op and everything seems to be healing really well.

I guess I didn't have too many problems cleaning my teeth with the linguals for the first few days after the op as I barely ate anything, so that simplified things! As well as some swelling (which wasn't painful - just a bit tender if I touched it) the antibiotics and painkillers they put me on made me quite nauseous and so food was the last thing on my mind.

However, still cleaned morning and night and rinsed my mouth out really gently 4 times a day with some foul tasting antibiotic mouthwash I was prescribed. I used a kids brush on my top teeth as the bristles are much softer. I was swollen behind my front teeth and with the brackets on the back of them it made it a little difficult to brush near the gumline, but not impossible. Actually, 'brush' is probably the wrong word, but I cleaned them somehow!

I don't think having the brackets on made it too much more difficult really, if anything it made me more cautious which was probably a good thing. I'm still using the kid's brush and probably will for the next few weeks until the swelling goes away. And if anyone is having any similar treatment.....I was amazed at how little to no pain I felt despite giving up on the painkillers after 3 days - I thought it would be much worse.

lyndachu

Re: Lingual braces and impacted canine extraction

#6 Post by lyndachu »

Hi,

I know this is years later, but my situation is similar to yours. I had an impacted top right canine tooth and a baby canine, which were both extracted today. Apparently it was too high to be exposed and pulled down. I have stitches at the top of my mouth as well.

The question I just wanted to ask was how they're planning on moving your teeth with your treatment plan. My dentist said that now that I'm missing a canine tooth, 3 pre-molars will most likely be extracted (1 top left, 2 bottom) and I'll be having a pre-molar on my right to replace the gap where my adult canine was meant to be. All the extractions are meant to make my teeth even. Anyway, I'm just worried about the pre-molar pretending to be a canine tooth. How did you go about your treatment?