It's so annoying..

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xTc

#16 Post by xTc »

lingualslady wrote:definitely go for it - once you start noticing you teeth it in photos etc, even if noone else does, it's so miserable and you'll notice it in every photo for the rest of your life... and dont keep putting it off - if i started the treatment when i first looked into it would all be over by now!
Oh god I know what you mean, I never thought my teeth were bad until about a year ago I saw a picture of myself smiling and they looked sooo crooked.. Now I never smile on photos :?

You're so right, if I had got them like 4 months ago when I first started thinking about it I'd prob have straight teeth now and be used to them :roll:

xTc

#17 Post by xTc »

Meryaten wrote:I'm sorry if this seems rude, and this is just my personal opinion, but it seems to me that it's being a bit penny-wise and pound-foolish to treat the uppers only, when you say the lowers are worse. I can only imagine that the results would tend to be a bit more stable if both arches are corrected so that they can work in harmony, rather than addressing the more minor issues with the upper arch alone. Were I you, I'd opt for treating both arches, be it with Invisalign or fixed braces, and if that's just not an option, I'd wait until I could afford to treat the entire mouth with linguals. A compromise would be to do linguals on the uppers and ceramics on the lowers (several folks here, including lionfish) have chosen that path, and if your lowers are so seldom seen that you don't mind them being wonky, then surely treating them with ceramics would be palatable. (Pardon the pun)
What you are saying makes total sense, the orth might even say to me that he won't treat the uppers without also doing the lowers, I haven't even seen him yet.

But if he says that I could do the uppers without having to do the lowers, and it would have no affect on the outcome of treatment, then I would def do that. I definetely want them both doing but for now I'd be happy with just the uppers.. I couldn't imagine having linguals on upper and lower..

rolo

#18 Post by rolo »

It's such a personal choice, but I am the most self concious vain person I know, and I have lingual uppers and ceramic lowers. I have to say very few people have noticed the lowers - those who have notice have been very nice and positive and one person was so impressed you could get discrete braces she has got some herself! You can get teflon coated white arch wires for a lot of the treatment if you wanted to.

Anyway whatever you decide do go for it, it's rubbish when you don't like smiling for photos, I just can't believe that I put off having the work done for so long. Oh, I got paraniod about my lower ceramics showing in photos, so I tried to hide them, but I just got some pics back where you can see my lower teeth and the braces don't show up on them. It is just so nice to be able to smile confidently.

Good Luck

xTc

#19 Post by xTc »

rolo wrote:It's such a personal choice, but I am the most self concious vain person I know, and I have lingual uppers and ceramic lowers. I have to say very few people have noticed the lowers - those who have notice have been very nice and positive and one person was so impressed you could get discrete braces she has got some herself! You can get teflon coated white arch wires for a lot of the treatment if you wanted to.

Anyway whatever you decide do go for it, it's rubbish when you don't like smiling for photos, I just can't believe that I put off having the work done for so long. Oh, I got paraniod about my lower ceramics showing in photos, so I tried to hide them, but I just got some pics back where you can see my lower teeth and the braces don't show up on them. It is just so nice to be able to smile confidently.

Good Luck
Yeah, this place is really good for giving confidence, where otherwise you would feel completely alone. I was shocked at just how many older people have braces, or are considering getting them.. I can't wait for the day I can smile on a photo and feel 100% confident.

What I find most embarassing is that I have worn braces before, I would be SO embarassed if one of my mates said "But didn't you used to wear braces?".

I can't explain why, I just really would be so embarassed. I might consider ceramics on the lowers, depends on the cost really.

xTc

#20 Post by xTc »

Meryaten wrote:If it helps any, there are quite a lot of people here who are second-timers. For some, (for various reasons) the initial treatment did not get the results they really want, for others it was a lack of compliance with retainers. Point is, we're all committed now to getting our teeth right, and that's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about!
It does actually make me feel a lot better knowing that lol, everyday I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to wear those god-damn retainers!

Thanks for the help/advice

Wobblydeb

#21 Post by Wobblydeb »

Hello from another second-timer :) It sounds like I've got teeth a lot like yours. I wore retainers for a long time after getting my teeth fixed as a teenager, but they still moved! My uppers have crossed a little bit but look pretty good on photos (thanks to bleaching them!) but the lowers have got really crooked.

I actually approached it from the point of view that I needed to sort out the lower ones for the sake of my gums, but couldn't face having perfectly straight lower teeth and not touch the uppers! :lol:

I guess which system you go for is personal choice, but I didn't like the fact that linguals were more expensive and more uncomfortable than Invisalign. I went for Invisalign in the end, and am getting both arches treated for £4k (Lingual would have been >£5k). You really cannot see them - even when I tell friends what I am wearing, some of them literally cannot see the liners. At work I have to present to senior executives and I wouldn't have gone for anything that was at all noticeable!

I have to agree with Meryaten that treating just one arch at a time seems a false economy. Getting both done at once is actually cheaper than both separately. Plus, what happens if your newly-straightened upper teeth clash with some of the lower ones which are out of line?
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Unhappy teeth

#22 Post by Unhappy teeth »

I agree that you should treat both uppers and lowers, my bottom teeth were pretty straight to begin with, and don't really show when I smile, but my ortho recommended I get braces on both jaws if I wanted to be really happy with the final outcome.

I know you're worried about people asking why you have braces for the 2nd time but this could also be the case with linguals. For the first 2 weeks lots of people asked why I was talking funny!

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

saps

#23 Post by saps »

xTc wrote:
rolo wrote:It's such a personal choice, but I am the most self concious vain person I know, and I have lingual uppers and ceramic lowers. I have to say very few people have noticed the lowers - those who have notice have been very nice and positive and one person was so impressed you could get discrete braces she has got some herself! You can get teflon coated white arch wires for a lot of the treatment if you wanted to.

Good Luck
Yeah, this place is really good for giving confidence, where otherwise you would feel completely alone. I was shocked at just how many older people have braces, or are considering getting them.. I can't wait for the day I can smile on a photo and feel 100% confident.

What I find most embarassing is that I have worn braces before, I would be SO embarassed if one of my mates said "But didn't you used to wear braces?".

I can't explain why, I just really would be so embarassed. I might consider ceramics on the lowers, depends on the cost really.
Okay...I am an "older" (read: OLD) second-timer. I'm 40 and my teeth were very similar to yours (top: slightly crossed bottom: JACKED). I was thinking the same as you (just do the top) but luckily I decided to do both. I think I would have been happy with lingual tops and ceramic bottoms (no one sees my bottom teeth) but went with linguals top and bottom.

As most people say (and everyone is different) the first couple of weeks are tough and can make you second guess yourself. Then you adjust and everything is fine. I'm close to the end and couldn't be happier (I wish I'd done it 10 years ago).

Good luck to you, my friend!