Crazy saliva

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melissac

Crazy saliva

#1 Post by melissac »

I just got my linguals put on weds. morning. I anticipated a lisp (and boy was I right). But man, my mouth is constantly full of saliva. When I try to talk slower it seems like my lisp gets worse, I guess because I'm thinking about it. But when I speak faster, the my mouth just floods with saliva. I've been using wax to ease some bracket pain. I don't know if that factors in as well.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking once my mouth adjusts to the foreign braces then it will subside... I'm hoping.
And the lisp, I've read it will pass over time.
Time must pass sooner.

Sara

Re: Crazy saliva

#2 Post by Sara »

:lol:
Congrats on getting your linguals- Yes, I noticed a difference in the amount of saliva aswell- and yes you will adjust to it and it will get better.
As for your lisp- everyone is different in how long it takes to get used to the linguals- some only a few days - however with me it never really has gone- but and this is a BIG BUT- you get used to it, infact nobody has ever mentioned my lisp until I mention that I am wearing braces- only then do thay hear my lisp.(I think it sounds worse to me than it does to others)
I would say my lisp is abut 90% better than it was on day one.....
But I think if this is the price you pay for having linguals then its worth it as i LOVE the fact that they are hidden.
Just remember that it will be worth it- think of your perfect smile at the end-

'A year of braces for a lifetime of happy smiles'

:banana: :banana: :banana:
Age 28- Upper lingual- Lower Ceramic Braces
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www
- updated a year on with pictures! (look bottom of pg 1)

Jay Tea

#3 Post by Jay Tea »

The lisp will take a while maybe a few weeks but you can tell that it gets back to normal it happens over say a few days where you notice your speech is better. this could be after 1 week or after 2 weeks it just depends. Just practice speaking normaly to people and try to forget about them. But don't worry your mouth gets used to them sooner or later even though it's a bit of a pain initially.

Unhappy teeth

#4 Post by Unhappy teeth »

I too had a problem with excess saliva, lasted about a week and then subsided. Lisp is still there slightly (although I can say sizzling sausages perfectly now much to the annoyance of my pupils!) :D