Feeling a little discouraged....need Ibraces Support

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lmccl0

Feeling a little discouraged....need Ibraces Support

#1 Post by lmccl0 »

Hello there. Fairly new to the forum and I'm looking for some moral support. I am fairly new to Ibraces - Lowers on February 20, 2008 and Uppers on March 11, 2008. I'm also getting an extraction tomorrow (April 1, 2008).
So far it's been up and down. Not much pain when I got the lowers on. All of my pain was in my tongue and the wax and Oralgel helped there. Adjusting to speech on the lowers was a breeze. Then came the uppers. :cry: More pain - my teeth were VERY sensitive to the touch of anything hot or cold. And I'm having a harder time adjusting my speech. I have good days but then it's like I have little relapses too. My tongue hurts and I struggle a little bit with my speech. VERY embarrassing. Also, when in the hell will a be able to eat a sandwich again? Or a big cheeseburger??? Right now I'm still on the soft stuff because it's awkward.
Did anyone else experience this? When does it end? I feel like I'm the only person still having speech problems three weeks in!! Nothing major but I definitely feel like I'm still slurring and that I have to slow down when I speak - which is hard for a woman who is use to talking a LOT!
Encouragement?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hang in there, it does get better and eating a sandwich/burger is in your not too distant future.

I would suggest you try eating harder foods from hereon in. The sooner you do this, the easier it will get.

lmccl0

#3 Post by lmccl0 »

Thanks lionfish!

How did your speech adjust when you got your linguals? Did you have a harder time with uppers versus lowers?

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I only had upper linguals (went ceramics on the bottom).

It took me around 4 weeks to feel comfortable with speech. The "s" sound was the most difficult, I think most people find that. Staying well hydrated helps.

dgirl

#5 Post by dgirl »

I think we worry about our speech too much:) I talked to my friend only an hour after getting the uppers and she didnt notice a thing, although I thought that my speech was terrible. Now I have them for two months, my speech is ok, but during those 2 months nobody noticed any problems. So I guess you should just talk as much as you can - read up loud at home etc. It will improve your speech faster.

What about eating? I eat almost everything besides nuts and tough apples. I think that I could eat them if I tried but I dont want to coz I know I would feel uncomfortable.

lmccl0

#6 Post by lmccl0 »

Thanks a lot to you both! Starting to feel a little better already. Going to have a tooth extracted in a couple of hours so keeping my fingers crossed. Overall I feel like I made a good decision but I was just getting down on myself.

Thanks again!

EBSESQ

I Braces Support

#7 Post by EBSESQ »

Just got mine--upper and lower the same day--on Monday, 3/31/2008. First day was fine, but day 2--Ouch! Can't believe how sore my tongue is, but am not using wax (presumably to build up callouses faster?) and trying to rely on Oragel and Advil/Tylenol, as the Dr. recommended. Oragel and the Advil/Tylenol works pretty well but by about 5PM, pain is pretty strong. Is there anything else you can recommend to make pain less and/or provide some hope about when it improves? Dr. said 10 days, but I'm reading here it can be a month. Have to give a major (but thankfully short) presentation in 7 days, so I am hoping that the pain and lisping gets better by then. Should I reschedule or just make a joke about it and get on with life?

Right now, eating takes forever, I think just since the pain from my tongue is so sharp. About 45 minutes to eat a small plate of food. However, I did spaghetti, oatmeal and eggs so far. Am liking Atkins protein shakes for a meal since they are loaded with good vitamins and protein and are very filling. Going to try some soft fish, mashed potatoes and green beans tonight for dinner. Vanilla shake for dessert.

Anyone out there either to encourage or support would be much appreciated. Thanks and keep smiling!

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Support on its way!

10-14 days should see your tongue stop hurting. I recommend using wax liberally, no need to be a martyr!

Fish is a great way to get protein into you with minimal discomfort (I love fish).

As far as the presentation is concerned, I wouldn't reschedule and I wouldn't say anything about your braces either. It is very likely that most (all?) will not notice anything different. This was my experience anyway.

EBSESQ

Ibraces support

#9 Post by EBSESQ »

Thanks lionfish for the prompt reply and encouraging words. Woke up this AM to see if anyone saw the plea for help and your note was there--awesome! Great advice re wax. Sides of the tongue near the back are the worst, so will try there this morning. How long does the wax last?

Eating went OK last night--famished and fish sure tasted good. Green beans and mashed potatoes worked well too. Gotta tell you, though, that after all the food and chewing, the vanilla shake was a soothing relief.

Do you have any other food tips? The Dr. said try chewing with front teeth, but that is not working so well for me.

Also, is it normal to see speech capability, etc., decrease as the day goes on, since I am definitely finding that is the case. Thanks so much, will check back tonight.

rolo

#10 Post by rolo »

Hi, I've not got them yet, B days is 9th April, so no experience but, as a pharmacist, I get enquiries on the best pain relief for patients with dental work, and there is lots we can do to help. I'm in the UK, so not sure which products are available over the counter for you, and some of them have different names in different countries, so best to ask at a local pharmacy, but do ask because there are things that can be done to make the pain better. Good Luck.

lmccl0

Ibraces Support

#11 Post by lmccl0 »

Hi EBSESQ!

It is normal (at least in my case) to see speech capability decrease as the day goes on. I figured my tongue must have been getting tired since I was working harder to speak slowly and clearly.

I agree about the wax - especially if you have a presentation which I was in that same situation. Put the wax on before the presentation and it saved my life. And I still think your tongue gets adjusted even with the wax on. Lionfish is right - no need to be a martyr. :D

Seafood is my best friend now. And pasta. I can eat meat if I take the time to cut it into smaller pieces. For me, chewing with the back teeth is the way to go. I'm still getting use to "big girl" food again myself. I think it just takes time to feel comfortable and not have it be awkward.

Good Luck and support is here - believe me, I needed it too.

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

EBSESQ, I would change out the wax after a meal, because it often came unstuck while I was eating. At one point, I made a roll of it and stuck it across all my brackets! I remember that the sides of my tongue were the areas that were the worst hit, so I do feel for you right now.

If speech capability is decreasing towards the end of the day, it's one of 2 things (and probably both): fatigue and not enough water. So keep up your fluid intake.

Food tips: pasta was my friend in the early days. I dolled it up with flaked tinned tuna in a cheese sauce, which I then baked. It tastes fabulous and it's nourishing. Chicken breast is also good. I found chewing with my back teeth easier, btw.

Are you in the UK? (I'm in Aussie, 11 hours difference at the mo', but 9 from Sunday when our daylight saving stops)

EBSESQ

Ibraces Support Group

#13 Post by EBSESQ »

Thanks to everyone for the fabulous advice and support. And for everyone else struggling, we are all going to make it through. Told my boss this morning and she was very supportive (surprised me since she's not usually that way). She actually said that she had not noticed, which is quite possible since she is in Canada and I'm in the States and we usually talk on the phone only once or twice a day. Have had a couple people who know me well and talk to me daily mention it, but when I explained they were fine. Still most folks do not know. Some short conversations sound completely normal, which is encouraging.

Made it through till about 5:30PM today with almost no trouble, outside of the nasty blisters on my tongue and the occasional collapse of speech--lots of Oragel, though seemed to handle the pain and improve speech. Was about to head out the door at the end of the day and got an emergency phone call from 2 of my direct reports, one right after the other. Liberal application of the Oragel made it manageable. But by 7PM, that was it and I sprang for the door. Never been so glad to see the inside of my car.

Dinner was mashed up turkey, green beans (my new best friend in food) and mashed potatoes, chased with a nice cold vanilla shake. You are right about chewing on the back teeth--much easier. Still, it takes SO LONG to eat. Had to turn down my first dinner invite--person that worked with me wanted to get together Monday for dinner. I passed but said yes to drinks--does alcohol burn your tongue? Mouthwash does not seem to, so I imagine drinking alcohol wouldn't, but thought I'd ask. How long did you all wait to eat out publicly--I'm thinking some time next century would be fine. Will be with my whole staff next week (T and W), on a team retreat. Fortunately, had them plan the agenda and do most of the presenting--still it will be a challenge. Any words of advice on this one are much appreciated!

For those that are asking, I'm in the States, though travel all the time and from time to time to the UK for business. If there are specific things to look for in the US, Canada or the UK, please mention them as I'm headed for Canada in 2 weeks and to the UK in May. In the meantime, will make a trip to the pharmacy this weekend to check out pain relief items (thanks very much for that suggestion)!

I saw we had an Aussie and somebody in the UK. Where else is everyone from? What do people do for a living--I do tons of public speaking, executive, legislative and media work, so this is quite a challenge. Thanks again for the incredible advice and support.

lionfish

#14 Post by lionfish »

Urban planning consultant here.

Alcohol shouldn't burn your tongue.

I ate out publicly on day 2....had no choice.

Unhappy teeth

#15 Post by Unhappy teeth »

I too am feeling a little discouraged, had my linguals (upper and lower) put on yesterday and am feeling quite sorry for myself! Can only manage to eat soup and my mouth is throbbing. It's my birthday next week, will I be able to eat out? Solid food seems quite scary right now!