Just banded with lingualcare braces ...

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jims

Just banded with lingualcare braces ...

#1 Post by jims »

I mentioned on the "hidden braces" topic that I was going to be banded this morning with Lingualcare braces and I was. I’d like to share the procedure and my thoughts about the lingual’s themselves with other people on the forum.

The Procedure
My first appointment was 11/23 and I was braced today, 1/17. This was the fastest I could have gotten this done. It took 3 weeks to figure out the treatment plan and then another 5 weeks to ship my impressions to lingualcare (in Germany), have the braces manufactured and sent back. The banding process consisted of a number of steps, here is a rough time line.

8:30 - 9:00 clean teeth, sand blast teeth and then etch
9:00 - 9:30 apply glue, put brace in
9:30 - 10:30 Clean excess glue and insert archwires

The procedure didn’t hurt at all, but it was uncomfortable at times. I'm currently in no pain and would be surprised if things will start to hurt, but we’ll have to wait in see. All I feel right now is the rough surface of the linguals and a slight pressure.

Speech Impact
I thought I was going to walk out feeling like I had a bag of marbles in my mouth, but it really hasn't been that bad. I'm very picky about my speech in general and to me the speech impact is detectable if you are looking for it, but otherwise minimal. I admit that some words sound "funny", especially words that start with a soft c -- centuries, ceramic, etc ... and st words - statistical requires some concentration to pronounce correctly. If I don’t slow down and concentrate, I think I sound like I’m talking with my mouth full.
The ortho gave me something called the “rainbow passageâ€

Liquid

#2 Post by Liquid »

Great write-up jims. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. All in all would you say the lingualcares are worth it?

AG

#3 Post by AG »

I´d like to do some questions:

Do you have both arches with lingualcare?

How often will you have your appoinments?

Thanks and congrants!!!!

jims

#4 Post by jims »

Liquid -- Do I think the linguals were worth it? Well for me, probably.

I think I could have handled braces with my professional life and with my friends, but ... While I believe braces are cute on women and I think the idea that someone wants to improve their teeth health only reflects well on them, I'm not sure if that is everyone's reaction. Further, I've seen plenty of women aged 20-40 wearing braces, but know very few guys my age (I'm officially in my late 20s as of last week!) opting for it and I didn't want to advertise myself as the first. Does that make me vain or self-conscious? Sure does. :oops: But I would think most people are to some degree and I'm no exception. Should I be strong enough to get regular braces? Absolutely. But why would I when I don't have to be?

On the down side, I'm sure linguals are going to be more uncomfortable to wear and more difficult to clean than regular braces. They are also more expensive.

I guess the real trade off is do you get a spam spam screen TV just in time for the super bowl or do you get braces? Still can't believe I went with the fixed orthodontics!

AG, yes - I decided on linguals for both arches. However, my ideal situation would have been to use invisalign for lowers (my teeth on the bottom are in pretty good shape and invisalign is more comfortable from what I understand) and lingual upper. Unfortunately, my ortho doesn't do invisalign.

My appointments will be every 8 weeks, however my ortho is experimenting with some people and having 12 week appointments because there is so little for him to adjust. The appointments do take longer (45 - 60 min) when the archwires are replaced because they are more difficult to put on behind the teeth.

Oh and about the pain. My front teeth hurt when I try bite into anything! I guess this should have been expected, but now I have to cut everything up into bite sized pieces! I'm sure it will go away ... my molars are doing alright. No sinus or head pain, thankfully.

Also, I was expecting the linguals to be totally flush with my teeth. As it turns out the lip of the lingual bracket doesn't quite lie flush with the gum line. This is one place where your tongue may get caught or feel uncomfortable.

Liquid

#5 Post by Liquid »

Why get traditional labial braces if we don't have to? Its 2005 not 1985, we have lots more options today & lingualcare is one of them. I'll officially be in my mid twenties (24) in 2 months & I will admit that wearing traditional labial braces would def. have me feeling self-concious. Def. nothing to be ashamed about, I mean c'mon if you have lots of friends & a very busy social life wouldn't you feel uncomfortable going to a club or bar being surrounded by attractive people & you being the only one w/ a mouth full of metal?

With the lingualcares I'll be able to have confidence doing all of the things I do on normal basis due to the braces being hidden. Very easy choice for me.

Good luck w/ your treatment jims. If you move to Philly & need directions to the ortho that does the lingualcares just hit me up.

AG

#6 Post by AG »

I´D LIKE TO GIVE MY OPINION: :o

I´m a 26-year-old woman. I´m not a model or something like that. I work in a office, and I wouldn´t like to be in visible braces at my age. I think they are not cute. As I told in other post, if I had to wear visible braces I´d prefer to live the rest of my life with my actual teeth. I don´t like my teeth, but I like metal or ceramic braces less than my teeth. I´m sure that if I had this type of braces I would be the next 2 years without opening my mouth for anything. The reason that take me to think in braces is aesthetics. Do you think braces are aesthetics? I don´t. So, I think that lingual braces is a good option for people like us.

I don´t like to have to explain people why I do things, or why I don´t. So, why have I to explain why I am wearing braces? If you wear visible braces, people will ask you about them and that is not their business!!!Whenever you meet somebody, once again you will have to explain the same issue. It sounds terrible.

On the other hand, I think that if somebody wears braces is because he/she has a little complex about his/her teeth (if the reason is for aesthetics, of course). So, one thing is that I can admit to myself that a have a little complex, but wearing labial braces is like admit to everybody IN PUBLIC you have a complex. I wouldn´t like to have that sensation with them. So, I agree with you that lingual braces are the best, and lingualcare braces are the lingual braces of the future, and you are some of the pioneers.

JIM, OTHER QUESTION FOR YOU:

Have you met anybody who didn´t know you were going to wear braces? Did they notice anything? (Speech problems, you know)

I would like to continue reading more posts from you about your experiences. Your opinions and experiences are very important for me, because I don´t know no more else wearing lingual braces.

Jim, 8 weeks-12 between appointments sounds really good. I like that!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences once again!!! Sorry for my "english mistakes" :lol:

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

Nice post jims.

As far as lingual braces go. Some people want them and it is a great option to choose. I have treated many pts with lingual braces and many people simply will not go ahead without a less visible form of braces.

We are all fortunate in that we can make these choices
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

jims

#8 Post by jims »

As far as the speech problems go -- I've been at work for the past couple of days and talked to a dozen people. One person has asked me if I had something in my mouth. And the ones that I pointedly ask do say that my speech is a bit different. Personally, I can tell I'm talking a bit funny. My tongue hurts from the archwires, particularly from the wires on my second molars. I think this is making me reluctant to move it around as much when I speak. I feel like it'll go away given a week or two ... but I'll keep you informed.

Good luck with the linguals AG!

Dr. Randall

Re: Just banded with lingualcare braces ...

#9 Post by Dr. Randall »

jims wrote:Other interesting things
Lingualcare pre-bends and all the archwires for my bite; All the ortho does for the next 18 months is change these arch wires out (which begs the question, why does each appoint cost $800?!).
That is an interesting question! I have always been interested in lingual, even given its limitations, but there is no demand to warrant doing it in my area. Sounds interesting though.

Randall

AG

#10 Post by AG »

JIMS, WHICH OF THE ARCHES IS THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE?THE TOP OR THE BOTTOM ARCH?

ARE YOUR TEETH SORE?OR ARE YOU OK? THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR ANSWERS.