Advice for Linguals

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nik929

Advice for Linguals

#1 Post by nik929 »

Hi Everyone, New to the board

So I finally worked up the courage to get these braces (linguals) and was wondering the following:

1) My dentist quoted me 8k, how do I bargain with him? Is it possible to bring him down any?

2) Can any case, regardless of level of complicatedness, be fit for linguals? (ie unlike invisalign).

3) Any other advice? (how to make the process faster? less unpleasant? how to not get ripped off at the ortho?)

Thanks in advance everyone! Looking forward to my 18 or so months with these...

Dkelly

price

#2 Post by Dkelly »

Depending on your location 8K is not bad. I have heard much higher. Are you in the U.S.?

nik929

#3 Post by nik929 »

Yes I'm in the US. I have my consult today and will look to see if I can have all these questions sorted out. Thanks guys, wish me luck.

BlahBlah

#4 Post by BlahBlah »

Answers to your questions..

You are making a big mistake.. go for the normal metal braces..

1) No it's not possible to bargain with ur ortho... Wateva price they say goes....

2) Yes any1 can get linguals, but don't! lol

3) The ortho is there to rip u off, and u r going to jump on the ride and get ripped off... there's no way ur journey will be less pleasant because linguals are not pleasant

Final advice: Don't get linguals....

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

My regular dentist recommended an ortho which, for me, was better than simply walking in off the street cold.

I was able to negotiate a 5% discount on the fee by paying the full amount up front.

I don't think there is a way to speed things up; treatment proceeds apace and when you're ready, you're ready. To make it less unpleasant, find things to distract yourself and take your mind off your mouth. You will find that this works almost all of the time (except, perhaps, when eating - and for obvious reasons!)

I have upper linguals only and am happy with them and my progress.

TX26

#6 Post by TX26 »

My advice is to shop around - I went to 3 different orthos and one quoted me 8k and another 6,800 for linguals. I went with the 6,800, and once my insurance was factored in it wasn't much more than traditional braces.

I just got my lingual braces off 3 days ago. Am I glad I did it? Yes, and I would do it again.
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

BlahBlah

#7 Post by BlahBlah »

Ayeee i'm just giving my advice on my own personal experience with linguals which could help people out there ayeee... They can take it on board or not.. whatever they please...Those that have happy stories can too post them as to what i am doing... it's just my opinions and what i have gone through..
Linguals suck ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
:lol:

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

If you're going to offer your opinion, blah blah, you should qualify what it is that you don't like about linguals. Could you please be explicit.

Dkelly

#9 Post by Dkelly »

NIK929, Like any appliance labial or lingual it takes getting used to. For me personally I never had any problems with speech and never once lost a bracket. I had an occasional wire poke after my ortho went to a subsequent wire. (The trick here is to make sure after a new wire goes in that you are certain everything feels good...take your time before you leave the office) There is a small % of people that don't have the tolerance or patience for linguals. (blahblah) For the majority of us it was a very positive experience given the alternative!!

finnball

#10 Post by finnball »

I've had my linguals for six months now and haven't had any real problems to speak of. The speech thing took a bit of getting used to, but after a few weeks, no one could tell a difference. And the movement has been phenomenal - I'm actually ahead of schedule and will get my linguals off in 12 months instead of 18! This has been a great experience so far and I would definitely recommend it.

BlahBlah

#11 Post by BlahBlah »

It's just the way i feel and the things that have happened to me through out this experience...

I think i was specific.. please refer to "sick of my braces" thread...lol aye...

I just like to point out that it's not as rosey for me as it is for others...
I dont think i am confusing newbies but preparing them for what comes next....

Every newbie that comes on the website says the same things "give me advice" and "what to expect"

Don't expect to cruise through it...

It's tough work..

clare80

Keep losing brackets

#12 Post by clare80 »

I've had my top linguals for 5 weeks now, the bottom ones for 3 weeks. It took a little while to get used to them, but in general it's been better than I expected. I've had an occasional poke from the bottom back ones but when I told my ortho he filed down the hook a little and it's been great since then. The only think is that I've had brackests come off 3 (!!!) times, always on the same side and always the very last one. I think it's bcause of how my bite is right now but it's really annoying, especially since it always happens on a weekend so I have to go 2 days with a poky wire. Dental wax has been my saviour with that.

Question: Does anyone else have brackets coming off repeatedly? What did your ortho say or do?

ibraceface

BlahBlah

#13 Post by ibraceface »

BlahBlah, you are really making me angry! Just be mature and state what about linguals has been particularly challenging for you. It would help people very much! Your discouraging posts had me in tears the day after i got my linguals because I thought I had made a big mistake.

On the contrary, i love my linguals. No one sees them, my lisp has gone away, im learning how to eat agin- and i am 100% whole-heartedly happy with them!

So, why don't you do everyone the favor of stating why linguals are discouraging for you... or just shut the heck up... ayeee?

Ouch

#14 Post by Ouch »

Please lay off BlahBlah, this is a forum and everybody is entitled to their opinion, otherwise just call it the 'I love Linguals Forum'. Negative comments targeting individuals only serves to isolate that person, and a forum is nothing if it doesn't have opinions from both sides. BB has already alluded to in another post the reason for their dislike of ibracers, so maybe we should take the time to read it.

BTW I for one agree and disagree with BB. I have had both good and bad experiences to date (2 months in to a 24 month treatment). Overall however I am pleased to have chosen linguals as it definately meets my main cirteria of remaining hidden.

Miss Smiley

#15 Post by Miss Smiley »

If you want em, get em! If you are that sick of them, take them off. No one will hold a gun to your head and tell you that if you pay and do not finish treatment, they will kill you. Everyone will have their own experiences whether or not they're using linguals, labial braces, removable, or what not.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix