hidden braces

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jims

#16 Post by jims »

I'm new on this board and this is my first post to the forum. Just wanted to comment that I'll be getting lingualcare braces this coming Monday (at 8:10 AM no less ... ). My total cost for 20 months was $9800 and my ortho is the only one in town that will do it. I was told that the rate hike was 100% due to the $2500 charge from lingual care.

My job does require me to talk to customers frequently, but my hope is that I'll be able to get through speech problems in a month or two. I was convinced to go this route when I met a patient who after four months of linguals had absolutely no impact on his speech. Frankly, it was perfect and I scrutinizing him very closely.

Liquid, good luck with your consultation and your fitting -- I'll be sure to give you (and others) my comments on monday! Also, where abouts in PA is the ortho? I may be moving to philly in about 9 months.

#17 Post by Guest »

If you really wanna test someone with lingual braces... Here it is: "it's a STATISTICAL improbability." As the new semester has begun, I've needed this word quite a few times and can't even THINK it clearly.

Liquid

#18 Post by Liquid »

Hi jims good to hear from you. I'm glad I'm not the only one on the board that will be wearing lingualcares. As for your friend, is he in traditional linguals or the lingualcares? It should be a little easier to master speech w/ the lingualcares as they are 70% smaller than traditional linguals.

My ortho doing the lingualcares is Dr. Drummond & he is located in Bryn Mawr. If your familiar w/ the area he's about 3-4 minutes down the road from Villanova University. If your living in Philadelphia it should take you no longer than 30 minutes to get to his office depending on what part of the city your in. Good luck getting them placed & I'd love to hear how your adapting to them after a couple weeks.

Liquid

#19 Post by Liquid »

Hey FiMo719 how do the "St" words sound the first couple weeks in linguals? I'm guessing that words like "street" come out sounding like "stweet" & "stuff" sounds like "ssstuff". I'm also assuming that mastering words that begin w/ "S" are gonna be the toughest?

Do you think the women find the lisping cute :P (joking)

jims

#20 Post by jims »

I've actually met a couple of people using lingualcare braces. The first was the one I described earlier. He had no discernable difference in speech. The other was a women that had been wearing lingualcare braces for six months. Most of the time I couldn't tell she was wearing linguals, but from time to time I must admit it was fairly pronounced. She especially had trouble with words like ceramic (it came out sheramic). My take is that the impact on speech run the gambit. It seems to be all about tongue position and I've been practicing saying words like statistical without touching my tongue to my teeth (my tongue touches the rough of my mouth instead). However, this just my crazy theory and I have no idea if this will help me come next week :)

Frankly, I'm equally worried about the linguals lacerating my tongue ... but I think (hope?) the discomfort will be temporary.

If I head up to the Philly it’ll be my first time living there. However, I’m glad to hear that if I do move, I won’t have to drive too far to find a doctor.