Braces in 6 days!

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Debi

Braces in 6 days!

#1 Post by Debi »

Anyone else have a child about to get braces? My son was looking foward to getting braces, until he saw an avatar...a close up of a mouth with metal braces. :shock:
He said he had no idea what they would look like and from what he saw, he doesn't want them now! I did tell him he could choose a color for the ligatures (? I think...I'm brace-illiterate), so he thought about it and now says he's okay with it if he can have green.

Debi

JosieGirl71

#2 Post by JosieGirl71 »

My son has had his braces off for about six months now. He had them for two years. At the beginning of his treatment, they put a herbst appliance in this mouth but had to take it out four days later due to the small size of his mouth and the pain. A palate expander was then put on the roof of his mouth and that was painless. The day he got his braces, he was sore and took ibuprofen. I remember he slept alot that day but was absolutely fine the next day. Fortunately for me, he was excited about treatment. That is until the herbst appliance was put in his mouth. After that, he didn't want braces at all! The ortho explained that the braces would be a piece of cake compared to the herbst. And guess what? She was right! Now, I am the one getting braces. I just had my records appointment. From what I can tell, adults have a much tougher time with the pain (and looks) than kids do. How old is your son?
***Shannen***

Debi

#3 Post by Debi »

Hi JosieGirl,

My son is 9 yrs old. Now it's 3 days till the BIG day! He's actually looking foward to it. We'll see how that goes. I am also getting braces. What kind are you getting? I'm going with Invisalign. I've heard both good and bad things about them, but I've already had my molds made, so there's no turning back now. Not sure how long it will take to get them. Probably right before Thanksgiving, knowing my luck. <sigh :?

Debi

Debi

#4 Post by Debi »

Okay...tomorrow is now the BIG DAY! I am feeling really nervous for my 9 yr old. Anyone else with a child that will be getting braces soon?

Debi

Debi

#5 Post by Debi »

Okay, it's me again. I guess I'm writing to myself...in hopes someone with a child just getting braces will respond. My son is getting his braces in less than an hour. He is now crying his heart out and I'm not sure what to do. He is desperately wanting me to reschedule but I think its too late to do that. Anyone else go through this?

Help, Debi

JosieGirl71

#6 Post by JosieGirl71 »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, Debi. My son was excited to get braces so I really don't have any advice for you with your son. Maybe it will be okay once he gets them on. Is he getting full metal top and bottom? My son loved picking his own colors which made braces a little more fun for him. He actually only used wax once or twice. If I could show you pics of his before and after, you would be amazed. He has a really beautiful smile now. Hopefully your son can keep his chin up and grin (hehe) and bear it. I will admit that my son was older than yours when he first got his braces so that might factor in too. Please let us know how your son is doing.

I am getting full metal top and bottom. I had my records appointment last Friday and am just waiting for the ortho to review my file and schedule the appointment. I have a crowded lower teeth and extra space in the uppers. I also have a slight overbite which I told him I wasn't too concerned about at our initial consultation. However, now that I have seen the x-ray of my profile, I really want it fixed. We'll see at my next appointment what the plan is.

Good luck!
***Shannen***

Debi

#7 Post by Debi »

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. Well, I guess our "Braces" journey together (mom and son) is over. He told the ortho he didn't want them, so the ortho agreed. Our ortho is so nice. He told me he could't make my son get them and felt we should wait. <sigh

Maybe it will be better if I get mine first. What a day. They did take my son's spacers out. Do you have spacers yet? Let me know how it goes for you.

Debi

Wingnut

#8 Post by Wingnut »

Debi,

Just read your posts - I so feel for you. My son (age 13) and I are going through this together and it made me so sad to think his experience was less than joyful. (Think of that end result, right?!?) I'd love to know what has happened to you since October. Have you continued on? If so, what does your son think? How is he doing? Wishing you the best...

jacehubert

Braces at 14

#9 Post by jacehubert »

I am about to get bracs on March 17th and am very excited. I have waited for 6 years to get them. You can also pick multiple colors, which makes having braces fun. Since the first time I called to make an ortho appointment ( on Feb 19th) I have had spacers, 3 teeth pulled, impressions, and everything. Now I am just waiting to get these spacers out and braces on. Good luck.

*Braced on St. Patricks Day*

purview

#10 Post by purview »

Bye bye