Essix Retainer w/teeth...eating at school

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

southerngirl1913

Essix Retainer w/teeth...eating at school

#1 Post by southerngirl1913 »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would love some suggestions. My daughter is 17, a senior and has been on a very complex dental journey for about 6 years now. She is congenitally missing both laterals and her cannines were impacted and later determined to be ankylosed and ultimately had to be removed. So that leaves her missing two teeth on each side of her centrals. You can imagine this is an absolute nightmare for a teenager. We recently got an essix retainer with two cosmetic teeth on each side. Problem is, she is not supposed to eat this the retainer in. My challenge is figuring out meals while she is at school or away from home (with friends etc.). We tried taking a smoothie to school but it did not hold up very well throughout her day. The drinkable soup was ok but it does not really fill her up.

I would love any suggestions you may have.

kplatt2010

Re: Essix Retainer w/teeth...eating at school

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

How about Boost Plus chocolate shakes? They have 360 calories and I thought the taste was pretty good even when room temp. I had to travel after jaw surgery and brought the bottles with me for easy travel. Also use to eat Munk pack oatmeal fruit pouches for snacks. I got them at Target and they were pretty tasty.

southerngirl1913

Re: Essix Retainer w/teeth...eating at school

#3 Post by southerngirl1913 »

Thank you so much! I will look into your suggestions.