Extractions and braces, positive stories please, panicking

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maria1abc

Extractions and braces, positive stories please, panicking

#1 Post by Maria1abc »

Hi,
I'm new here and I wondered if anyone can calm me down and share some positive stories about the removal of 4 premolar teeth to make room for braces.
My child had the 1st two removed yesterday and in the lower arch you hardly see a gap but in the upper arch there is a huge gap.
We were fine with going ahead with this procedure as she has moderate crowded teeth in upper and lower arch and a small overbite and cross bite.
When we came back from the dentist and I checked her teeth, i was in shock, obviously i didn't tell her, but i was so scared that the gaps will not close and so scared we made the wrong decision. Maybe we should have gone for a second opinion, as i now i am reading about facial changes which I was never told about.
I do know other children who had to have 4 teeth removed, but they are still wearing their braces so i'm not sure about the outcome.
Can someone please share some positive stories as when I google I only find horrible stories about gaps not closing and flat faces.
Thank you!!

Lovespain5

Re: Extractions and braces, positive stories please, panicking

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

Maria1abc wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:05 am Hi,
I'm new here and I wondered if anyone can calm me down and share some positive stories about the removal of 4 premolar teeth to make room for braces.
My child had the 1st two removed yesterday and in the lower arch you hardly see a gap but in the upper arch there is a huge gap.
We were fine with going ahead with this procedure as she has moderate crowded teeth in upper and lower arch and a small overbite and cross bite.
When we came back from the dentist and I checked her teeth, i was in shock, obviously i didn't tell her, but i was so scared that the gaps will not close and so scared we made the wrong decision. Maybe we should have gone for a second opinion, as i now i am reading about facial changes which I was never told about.
I do know other children who had to have 4 teeth removed, but they are still wearing their braces so i'm not sure about the outcome.
Can someone please share some positive stories as when I google I only find horrible stories about gaps not closing and flat faces.
Thank you!!
Hello! It all depends of the initial problem of your child. I suffered from bimax protrusion and lip incompetence and I was treated with my 4 first premolars out, following 32 months of braces and 18 months in elastics. Dont worry, the gaps will be completely closed at the end of the treatment.My mouth has become smaller than before but I think all the pain totally worth it when I see the facial changes. Could you give me your mail to send you some photos please? Thank you. Here a before/after in profile photo which is not mine but very similar.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?:-#):mrgreen: