Palate expander pain, trouble eating

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

katiwalt

Palate expander pain, trouble eating

#1 Post by katiwalt »

4 days ago my son, 9 years old, got a palate expander put in and he’s having a lot of trouble eating. Quite a bit of pain on the roof of his mouth as well. But the trouble eating has me concerned. The most solid thing he’s been able to eat is applesauce and mashed banana. And now he’s not wanting anything at all. This morning he woke up feeling sick to his stomach and I think its from not eating. Does this seem right and it does get better or do I need to call his orthodontist?
Thank you!

lajp

Re: Palate expander pain, trouble eating

#2 Post by lajp »

I'm not a parent at all but I commend anyone who is like 10 when they begin ortho treatments. I could not keep up with all this hygiene and maintenance at an age of 8-12 even 14 years maybe. I'm just interested in the health/medical field so despite having braces for 2 months, I do have some knowledge okay. Lol.

Soft foods is like #1. Is he not eating because of sores on the inside of his mouth? Warm salt water rinse is gonna be his best friend for a few days (for me it's a few days here and there. Like 3-4 days and then no irritations for a while, then when they do occur, it last about 3-4 days).

If he can stomach a milkshake or a smoothie, that's the way to go. Smoothie King is a good idea because you can add "enhancers" like protein, fiber, and other nutrients he is not getting due to the extremely limited diet. Baby food is another good option. I like baby food just bc I like it and it has been a great tool. Sounds like he needs to get something of substantial substance in his system. I'd check in with his ortho (give them a call during office hours unless you think it's more pressing/urgent).
Braced: 6 March 2018
self-ligating ceramic and metal brackets combo
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 months