Reverse pull headgear for 9 yo: need advice on Doctor

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Motherofmax

Reverse pull headgear for 9 yo: need advice on Doctor

#1 Post by Motherofmax »

Hello, I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this subject has been posted before.
My 9, almost 10 year old son just had his follow up consult with ortho who recommended the RPHT for his class Iii underbite. It's very slight which he's had since birth. I have 2 concerns.
1. The Doctor didn't address the fact that my sons bone age is actually 11.5 (as per hand xray for his endocrinologist). I've read some papers indicating the bone age is more important than actual age in predicting success.
2. Doctor did not take panaramic X-rays which I've read were standard practice to get a proper diagnosis and make the correct treatment plan.

Anyone have experience with these or feedback as to how to tell if it's a good doctor? We have a second opinion scheduled.

Thanks

cdmoses6

Re: Reverse pull headgear for 9 yo: need advice on Doctor

#2 Post by cdmoses6 »

I don't have any particular experience with this subject, but I can suggest in general that it would be in your best interest to have multiple consultations. It looks like you have another one so that's good! I had 3 consultations just for my standard braces and every treatment plan was different in one way or another. I do also find it very fishy that they didn't perform a panoramic x-ray before devising a treatment plan. This seems to be standard practice. At your next consultation I would be sure to have a written list of questions so you can address these concerns up front. Maybe they will have a logical explanation for everything? Best wishes to you!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

At my daughters (age 10) consult, they never did a panoramic. We were offered headgear for he if we wanted to get started with her. We decided to wait another year or two.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Motherofmax

#4 Post by Motherofmax »

thanks for your replies! I was initially suspicious of the doctor not getting xrays but I perhaps for the headgear alone, and no braces for now, the treatment plan is not dependent on what the films show. We'll see what the second opinion says in 2 weeks.

oldfart- did your 10 year old experience much pain or problems with the headgear?

Thanks!

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

I've seen a few that don't do full xrays for an initial free consult. They do them once a treatment plan is finalized.

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

No, we didn't do the braces on her. She was kid #3 and could only afford the first two. She's probably next year.