I'm new - researching for daughter with 11mm overbite

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

toothymama

I'm new - researching for daughter with 11mm overbite

#1 Post by toothymama »

Hi all

I am a UK mum of an 8yo daughter with a 11mm over bite. Our NHS dentist has never given any information and said she was too young. We went for a free private assessment a year ago and was told that treatment could not start until 11, however we were not given any information as to what treatment might be available, costs, etc. If I am going to have to go private I'll need to start saving now I guess.

We have a check up next month with NHS Dentist and I want to go with some facts and see if we can get an early NHS referral or go on the waiting list now so we can start treatment as soon as possible.

One thing that worries me is that dd still sucks her thumb and I can't get her to stop, any tips as I am sure treatment will not start whilst she is still thumb sucking,

From what I have found out so far twin blocks or a herbst appliance seem to be some of the ways to treat an overbite and that 11mm is classed as severe.

If you have a similar experience with your child it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Gerbera

Re: I'm new - researching for daughter with 11mm overbite

#2 Post by Gerbera »

Hello,

I think you might mean overjet? As in the top teeth protrude out with a gap between the bottom teeth.

You need to have a consultation with an orthodontist (ideally a couple) and get an idea of what would be involved in treatment. It would depend on what causes the overjet - misaligned teeth or jaw relationship. The latter I understand treatment is better started early whilst still growing, so it would be good to see an orthodontist soon. Arm yourself with lots of questions and make sure you're happy that they've explained fully.

Seems odd that your dentist wouldn't refer you, but you don't need them to. Call around orthodontists offering NHS treatment and refer her yourself. Most orthodontists have a long waiting list for NHS patients so even if you went now, potential treatment might not start for a couple of years.

My daughter had an 9mm overjet and increased overbite (lower teeth touched palate gum) caused by thumb sucking. Her jaw relationship is normal, so she doesn't need an appliance such as twin blocks or herbst. She was referred to an ortho by her dentist, but they turned out to be worse than useless. I found a better practice and made a self referral. She qualified for NHS treatment, but as she was already 13, I opted for private skipping the two year waiting list. I received written details of the consult, which was helpful.

kip

#3 Post by kip »

As a life long thumb sucker it was very difficult for me to stop (I didn't until I was 24 and had already had a set of braces! Just started my 2nd round to correct the mess I made of them, again). Unfortunately it was only when I felt a tooth give way when sucking my thumb that finally stopped me!

Things that really helped when I was younger though were: the stuff you put on your fingernails to stop you biting, really doesn't taste very nice; a thumb ring as there was something in the way of actually putting it in my mouth and when I did take it off my finger tasted horribly metallic; wrapping string around my finger before bed (I tended to suck my thumb most when I was going to sleep); having long nails! Long nails made it very uncomfortable to suck my thumb as they'd dig into the top of my mouth, my Mum tried not cutting my thumb nail to deter me from popping my thumb in.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to stop he sucking her thumb. You can always tell her about a silly lady you saw on the internet that didn't stop and ended up with a second 10mm overjet and had to have braces at 29 again after having them as a teenager!!

Aspiring

#4 Post by Aspiring »

I successfully used a T-Guard to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb. They also have a version for finger suckers. I showed her the web site, we talked about it, she said she wanted it to help her because she wanted to stop.

At first, we used it almost 24/7. She had previously stopped sucking her thumb at preschool on her own (with help/encouragement from the school, as it was a hygiene issue). I took it off in the parking lot before going in to school, and put it back on in the parking lot when I picked her up.

I believe the makers of the device recommend wearing it 24/7 for at least a month. After about 2.5 weeks, my daughter said she didn't need it during the day, except when she was sleepy. I held off until three weeks, then agreed to a trial of reduced use. I still used it for car rides (big car sleeper, and sleeping = thumb sucking) and bed time. She was correct, she didn't need it most of the day any more. She continued to use it at bed time for another month or so, when she told me she didn't need it at all any more. Again I agreed to a trial, and after several nights of sneaking in to her room and finding no evidence of thumb sucking, I agreed that she was officially no longer a thumb sucker.

I think the T-Guard is much less barbaric than an oral habit crib that is permanently installed in the roof of the mouth, and which also injures the tongue and affects speech and eating. The T-Guard does affect hand use, so I wouldn't use it full-time for a child who is in therapy for fine motor problems. I am about to start using it with my younger daughter who does have fine motor deficits, but she is strictly a bedtime sucker so there is no need to use it during the day.

https://tguard.com/ Not affiliated in any way, just a happy consumer who likes to share options with others.

cottonsock

#5 Post by cottonsock »

Depending on the appliances installed, it may prove impossible to keep thumb sucking, however the fixed habit breaker is one method if not.