How intense is the pain associated with braces adjustments? On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the most pain?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Santurro123

How intense is the pain associated with braces adjustments? On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the most pain?

#1 Post by Santurro123 »

I was wondering how often a child would experience the pain when braces adjustment is needed and how long on average it takes for the discomfort to disapate? Is the pain a child will experience a significant disruption to the daily routine of school work and social activities?

Gerbera

Re: How intense is the pain associated with braces adjustments? On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the most pain?

#2 Post by Gerbera »

My daughter and I are both due our first adjustments in the next few days, so obviously no experience yet, but I imagine it would be the same as getting braced for the first time.

Although we were warned and geared up for pain, we had none. After a few days our teeth were a little sore if any pressure was applied to them..... biting/ brushing etc. The most discomfort was from sores from the braces rubbing, but we're over that now, so I'm guessing it'll be pretty smooth sailing from here.

Pain is relative and we all experience it differently, but I highly doubt an adjustment would significantly impede on normal routines. A painkiller should be sufficient if really needed.

Perhaps I'll post an update next week after her adjustment.

Aspiring

Re: How intense is the pain associated with braces adjustments? On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the most pain?

#3 Post by Aspiring »

My daughter got separators a few days ago. She asked for pain medicine before bed that night, the next morning, after school, and that was it. By bedtime (about 26 hours after placement) she was fine. She never outwardly showed signs of being in pain; her behavior was normal.

Oh, she did adapt her diet to softer foods for about two days. That has been the only change to her normal daily life.

gregeml

#4 Post by gregeml »

Hey, my daughter had her braces adjustment last day. During the adjustment she had a mild pain. but later reaching home she didn't mention about any kind of pain. The adjustment was done Dr Stacey Stein in Centenary Dental Toronto. I think it was the correct decision made by me too choose this children's dental services from this clinic in Toronto ( http://www.THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR.com/childrens-dentistry/ ). My child was afraid of dental clinics but after visiting the centenary dental she was not afraid about dentist and dental clinic. Actually, before putting in braces she was given a 20 min class on the braces and dental clinic which helped her to reduce her fear.

gregeml

#5 Post by gregeml »

Hey, my daughter had her braces adjustment last day. During the adjustment she had a mild pain. but later reaching home she didn't mention about any kind of pain. The adjustment was done Dr Stacey Stein in Centenary Dental Toronto. I think it was the correct decision made by me too choose this children's dental services from this clinic in Toronto (http://www.THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR.com/childrens-dentistry/) My child was afraid of dental clinics but after visiting the centenary dental she was not afraid about dentist and dental clinic. Actually, before putting in braces she was given a 20 min class on the braces and dental clinic which helped her to reduce her fear.