braces or invisalign

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

714sam

braces or invisalign

#1 Post by 714sam »

hi everyone i have a son who is about to start braces and i would like to know which is best metal or invisalign

Bracesat57

Re: braces or invisalign

#2 Post by Bracesat57 »

metal braces!

I have heard that kids wil not wear their trays (some adults stop also) when they are not with you.

Also, Invisalign can only move the teeth so much.

Get a few estimates from a couple of Orthodontis. They will probably advise you to get metal.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

bliss4me

#3 Post by bliss4me »

I would not trust a child to be responsible enough for the trays. My daughter needs near constant nagging to wear her retainer.

I would go full metal.

tonyk

#4 Post by tonyk »

Is Invisalign an option? There are some orthodontic tooth movements that are either not possible with Invisalign or much easier to achieve with braces.

ugh

#5 Post by ugh »

I think it depends on how responsible you think your son is. If you 100% sure he will wear them as much as he needs, by all means go for invisalign, but if you think he might lose them or not wear them when he is not around you, then it might be best to go for metal.

magikwand

#6 Post by magikwand »

I honestly wouldn't recommend invisalign to most people. Ortho treatment tends to be painful... and being able to 'opt out' of treatment by not putting in a retainer is too convenient and seems to happen pretty routinely from what I've read.
I believe the results one can achieve with traditional braces are better for the majority of cases too. I didn't think for more than 30 seconds about invisalign before I ruled it out for my own treatment,

gglass

#7 Post by gglass »

BRACES! 1)faster 2)less expensive 3)get better result

Vely1977

#8 Post by Vely1977 »

yelenakandinov

#9 Post by yelenakandinov »

It depends on what you want to be seen. I've seen many patients enjoy invisalign. The point is teeth need to be straight, and sometimes braces have that negative stigma to them, so if masking them a bit is the way to go then by all means choose the latter

Aspiring

#10 Post by Aspiring »

[quote="Vely1977"]Hey, my son is 13 years old and his teeth need to be braced. Which one is better - braces or Invisalign? He doesn't like wearing braces. He wants to wear a six month braces ( http://www.SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.com/SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM/overview/ ). What do you think? As per my knowledge braces should be worn for at least 2 years. Any previous experiences?[/quote]

1) Find out if Invisalign is even an option. Depending what needs to be done, Invisalign may not be able to accomplish it.

2) So-called six month braces are somewhat controversial. Again, depending what needs to be done, might be a reasonable option, or might not. Many people believe that the results of 6MS are not stable, or that it's a waste because it's limited cosmetic treatment, and does not correct bite problems in that short time. If it's just straightening a couple crooked front teeth to improve the smile, then maybe.

3) Length of treatment depends on many factors. Many people with full braces can finish treatment in 15-18 months, if they need limited movement, are fully compliant, have teeth that naturally move quickly, and don't break appliances. Several adults on this forum have/had this scenario. Other people need a lot of movement, don't wear their elastics as instructed, or frequently break appliances, or have one or more teeth that don't move as quickly as typical. Any of those things extend treatment time.

An orthodontist can evaluate your son's teeth, bite, and face and make the best recommendation as to possible courses of treatment, and estimate treatment time.

MummaFish48

#11 Post by MummaFish48 »

I researched extensively and have opted for fixed braces....ceramic top and metal bottom as the ceramic ones on the bottom can break easier and I have limited time to keep going back for repairs!! I considered Invisalign, but it is not suitable for all, and I just think if there was an option to remove it and let the pain settle I might do it a bit too often!!! Also it seemed with Invisalign that you literally can only drink water with them in....anything else you have to remove them and clean your teeth before they go back in....bit too much work everytime you have a cup of tea or a snack! Not sure I would trust a teenager to keep them in for 20+ hours a day!! :shock: