Opening vs. closing the gap for missing lateral incisors?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sparkle

Opening vs. closing the gap for missing lateral incisors?

#1 Post by Sparkle »

My 11 year old dd has 8 missing teeth: 4 wisdom, 2 molars (lower 7s) and 2 lateral incisors. Her treatment plan is open the gap to make way for 2 bridges where lateral incisors are missing. My concern is that her upper molars (number 6s) have not yet erupted. She is due to have braces fitted shortly to move her upper teeth backwards, opening the gap for the bridges. She's also due to have a nance fitted first. Is the purpose of the nance to keep the no 5 molars in place, allowing room for the 7s to come down? I need to ask this as her orthodontist is one of the rudest and most unapproachable people I have ever come across and does not welcome any questions (although he does seem to be very competent at his work).
My dd has unfortunately inherited her congenitally missing teeth from myself, I have missing wisdom teeth and 2 missing lateral incisors, but mine were corrected by closing the gap rather than opening the gap. I too had a large gap between my front teeth but when my upper 7 molars erupted my teeth moved forwards and they were able to veneer my canines at around age 16-17, and all gaps closed naturally without braces!!
I am concerned that the orthodontist is being a little too hasty with his intervention, in order to access this years 'pot' of funding, rather than treating my dd at the most appropriate time for her. I'm also concerned that if left alone for a few years, her upper molars no 7s will erupt and push all teeth forward, enabling the gaps to be closed rather than opened, thus preventing the need for bridges.
On a final note, my dd is very small for her age (more like a 9 year old in size) and she has a very small mouth. Does anyone know if there is much growth in the size of the mouth from age 11?
Can anyone relate to any of this or offer any advice please?

zena

Re: Opening vs. closing the gap for missing lateral incisors

#2 Post by zena »

her orthodontist is one of the rudest and most unapproachable people I have ever come across and does not welcome any questions (although he does seem to be very competent at his work).

if that's the case. you should have at least 3 more opinions.

I had exactly the same kind of orthodontist you described 25 years back. I wouldn't take my daughter to someone like that even it he is the best.
may I ask about your location?

Sparkle

#3 Post by Sparkle »

Thanks for the reply zena. My location is the UK.

zena

#4 Post by zena »

Did you make any decision?
since you told me you are from U.k. you have to pay for each consultation. most of the consultations are free here.
I only paid 50 dollars for one.
that's regarding the cost. the other consideration.you also have the NHS system. I don't know if you can have another consultation with that system.
If you are using private sector orthodontist. be careful he might be thinking which method will bring more money.

Sparkle

Re: Opening vs. closing the gap for missing lateral incisors?

#5 Post by Sparkle »

Hello KsJohn. I wasn't considering the option of dental implants at this stage, more the opening the gap vs. closing the gap argument. ie. opening the gap to make way for bridges, or closing the gap to veneer the canines. My understanding of dental implants is that it is more straightforward and there is a higher success rate if the teeth have been lost, damaged, removed etc, however if the teeth are congenitally missing it is a more complex procedure requiring a bone graft from another part of the body such as the hip. Where teeth are congenitally missing there is insufficient jaw bone to perform a dental implant therefore needing the bone graft. Please feel free to correct me if my knowledge is wrong. I am not a dentist, just a parent with some dental experience. Are you an orthodontist?

zena

#6 Post by zena »

zena wrote:her orthodontist is one of the rudest and most unapproachable people I have ever come across and does not welcome any questions (although he does seem to be very competent at his work).

if that's the case. you should have at least 3 more opinions.

I had exactly the same kind of orthodontist you described 25 years back. I wouldn't take my daughter to someone like that even it he is the best.
may I ask about your location?
Hello.I Hadn't heard from you.I am still waiting to hear your final decision.

Sparkle

Re: Opening vs. closing the gap for missing lateral incisors?

#7 Post by Sparkle »

Hello zena,
Thanks for your reply.
My daughters treatment is underway. I was under pressure to make a quick decision (which I didn't like in itself). The options were: I could commence her treatmemt (that the ortho had decided for her) or not. If I chose not to then she would not be able to access this years funding at a later date and the orthodontist could make no guarantees regarding accessing the funding next year... It felt like I was being backed into a corner. I wanted what was best for my daughter but we could not afford to pay hefty dental bills- they're sure to be hefty with the amount of work involved. (We have already paid £800 for our other daughters top brace because she didn't qualify for funding as her teeth were not bad enough. 1mm below the criteria) ...so £800 for a simple straightening over 6 months.
Our daughter with missing lateral incisors started her treatment plan, and once it's started its very difficult to stop or make any changes.
She is still wearing the top brace, no bottom brace yet but that will be coming soon I believe. The gap on her right looks very noticeable so I'm really hoping it will be sooner rather than later that the bridge is fitted.
I really hope I've made the right decision, only time will tell. I made a few phone calls to various advise lines before I went ahead, but they weren't really able to help.
Thanks for your reply.