Extraction yes or no

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

wildchild1609

Extraction yes or no

#1 Post by wildchild1609 »

Hi. I'm new to this so not sure where to post.

Our son is 13 years and for years his dentist has suggested braces. We finally went to see two different orthodontists and this is the prognosis.

Class II bite (lower jaw and teeth are back compared to the top)
Division 2 anteriors (top front teeth have tipped back, if they were to be straightened, they would move forward and protrude ie buck)
4-5 mm of upper and lower crowding
Severe deep bite - front teeth completely overlap.

We have been given several options but I really don't know which one is best.

1. Full braces for alignment and then extraction of two upper 1st premolars (numerous sites say NEVER extract a healthy tooth)
2. Full braces and once aligned, see a surgeon for lower jaw advancement (seems extreme)
3. Partial braces + Removable twin block + Upper Clear and Lower Metal
4. Removable Twin Block + Invisalign

(Option 3 and 4 are the same price but around AU$1,500 more expensive that Option 1)

Money is not a factor, it's more of what is best for the child.

touchofhiddencharm

Re: Extraction yes or no

#2 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I got extractions upper and lower and I think it really helped with my overbite. They could do it without but I'm not sure how much pain he will be in when they're trying to fix his overbite.

wildchild1609

#3 Post by wildchild1609 »

thanks touchofhiddencharm Did your facial features change much with the extraction of your teeth?

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

In general, extraction on a growing child is not a good idea because the face is still growing. They are still very keen on extraction in Australia, but not so much in other countries. Please be very careful and do your homework before making a choice.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

wildchild1609

#5 Post by wildchild1609 »

Thanks for your help. We're going with twin block and invisalign - no extractions :)