24-year-old daughter and spring aligners!

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

OptomGirl

24-year-old daughter and spring aligners!

#1 Post by OptomGirl »

My daughter turns 24 this year and recently shocked us by announcing that she wants to "fix" her upper four teeth. She hated her teeth since childhood (we also recently found that out). She went to a dentist and he recommended that she get a spring aligner to help her expand her upper arch (I hope I'm using the correct anatomical words) and to help her two rotated front teeth become aligned. She is also an optometrist as I am, and she says she's been experiencing a "lisping sensation" when speaking. Does anyone know if this does get better? And also, do you think this will be a two year cycle as it is with braces, or will she be able to have aligned teeth by this time next year?

al1979

Re: 24-year-old daughter and spring aligners!

#2 Post by al1979 »

Hello, I'm no expert but I've researched heavily. I get my brace today, the same as your daughter (it's called an Inman aligner). The slurring and (and drooling!) apparently lasts up to a fortnight.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that but practice makes perfect.

The treatment takes around six months on average. Apparently. I'll let you know...

ericforster38

Re: 24-year-old daughter and spring aligners!

#3 Post by ericforster38 »

nice info