Is it normal if it doesn't hurt

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sookysunky

Is it normal if it doesn't hurt

#1 Post by Sookysunky »

Hi there. First post. My 8-year-old daughter just got braces put on yesterday. Her problem is that her lower lateral incisor erupted under her molar, way too far back. So they had to extract 3 baby teeth to clear the path and now they will try to guide the incisor back to the front before her other adult teeth come up and block it permanently. Six of her lower teeth have braces, all four incisors and the two back 6-year molars. There's only one tooth that needs to move, and it has a long way to travel before it gets to the right position.

I was all prepared with the ibuprofen, but my daughter is experiencing no pain at all. Is this normal? The next appointment is in 4 weeks, but I would hate to waste time since this tooth has to get out of the path of the canine and premolars coming up.

I had braces myself twice, and do not recall new braces not hurting, but my experience was long ago. She's wearing the speed braces.

Kiwi Orthodontist

Re: Is it normal if it doesn't hurt

#2 Post by Kiwi Orthodontist »

It's completely normal. There is a wide variation in the discomfort experienced. She's one of the lucky ones.

Sookysunky

#3 Post by Sookysunky »

Thanks much!

touchofhiddencharm

#4 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I would def think that it's normal. I've been braced for a year now and I didn't have any pain at all and lots of progress. My ortho will always tell me that I'm going to have lots of pain but I never do! Lucky her!!

Troubled

#5 Post by Troubled »

is normal.

gracieg2002

#6 Post by gracieg2002 »

She is so blessed. I'm 12 and my family probably hates my braces more that I do because I complain so much! i wish my mom was as nice as you because my mom was like, "Girl! You're just looking for excuses to cry! I never cried when I got braces!" :evil: