11 year old son loses permanent lateral incisor

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

FireFinder

11 year old son loses permanent lateral incisor

#1 Post by FireFinder »

My youngest son, who has been in braces since June 2013 had been complaining about a tooth chipping. I couldn't see anything, and said wait until your orthodontist appointment in a few days, and let him look at it.

His right top lateral incisor was dead and broken in 3 pieces. The canine transected the root, killing the tooth, and he bit into something and the tooth broke. He had it extracted last week.

Now, we wait for the canine to erupt, and see if it is a good candidate to shape and move over to fill the gap, or he will be wearing a fake until he is mature and able to get an implant, or whatever.

I feel so bad for him. Both of my canines came in above my lateral incisors, but were able to be moved into place.

packersfan

Re: 11 year old son loses permanent lateral incisor

#2 Post by packersfan »

Why did the tooth fall out? Were braces the cause..

Sookysunky

Re: 11 year old son loses permanent lateral incisor

#3 Post by Sookysunky »

Could they see it coming in the X-ray as the canine was coming down? Was there nothing they could do to stop it?