Mom of 8 year old needs help

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

pjg

Mom of 8 year old needs help

#1 Post by pjg »

Hello Everyone,
I have an 8 year old daughter with a severe overjet/overbite. The dentist said it's around 10 mm and her lower jaw is not developing at the same pace as her upper jaw. I've been to 4 different orthodontists and all have different treatment plans as follows

Ortho no. 1 : Palatal expander, headgear and braces
Ortho no. 2: Bionator , braces
Ortho no. 3 : braces and if needed palatal expander
Ortho no. 4 : Braces and headgear.

This is all so confusing and over whelming. I was wondering if any other moms/dads have had any experience regarding overbites/overjets with their kids and how it was treated and at which age?

I'm slightly leaning towards a bionator and braces . Also does anyone know if 8 years old a a good age to treat an overbite. Would it hurt to wait 2 more years?

Thanks

Tobilei

Re: Mom of 8 year old needs help

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Does your have both an overjet AND an overbite? I have a 13 year old who is now in braces. She originally had a rather severe overjet (not an overbite though). She was treated with a plate (bionator? our ortho only ever called it a plate) for 2 years from age 9 until 11. Her braces went on about 12 1/2. Her overjet is now pretty much gone and she has 6 months left in her braces.

I have another daughter who is 10 (11 in October) who has a severe overbite. She currently has molar buildups on her molars (blue cement stuff) to prevent her biting down as far as she does naturally. They'll stay on until she gets braces which will be in the next year or 2 (they're waiting for all her baby teeth to fall out and the adult teeth to be through). She hasn't needed a plate.

david472

#3 Post by david472 »

new archwire braces. 7mm wire sticking into cheek from bracket on last molar, kid screaming, losing weight. Why didnt they bend the end into a curve, instead of leaving it at a 45 degree angle?

Tobilei

#4 Post by Tobilei »

david472 wrote:new archwire braces. 7mm wire sticking into cheek from bracket on last molar, kid screaming, losing weight. Why didnt they bend the end into a curve, instead of leaving it at a 45 degree angle?
Is this the 2nd wire? They bend the first one at a 45 degree angle to make it more comfortable but they can only do that with the starting wire. All the others are too thick to be bent. I sympathize, I have the same problem and have had a couple of months where a wire has just continuously gouged a big hole in my cheek, bad enough to bring tears to my eyes every time I move my mouth.

Hold your kids (I assume it's your child) cheek out with one finger, dry the back bracket thoroughly with paper towel (kitchen towel works really well and doesn't shred like tissue and cotton wool does), turn your kids head so you can see properly and stick a blob of orthodontic wax on it. Leave it on there every day until any sores heal (salt water rinses help that happen more quickly). If the wire is really long at the back you can take him or her in and have it snipped shorter but it will likely move again and come back.

I've had months where I've had to wear wax every single day all day long (take it off at night though, it can be a choking hazard according to my ortho).

Hope your child feels better soon!

mammabear51

#5 Post by mammabear51 »

Hi

new here not quite sure where to start but got 2 opinions so far on phase 1 treatment for 9 year old. Scared to death of making wrong decisions. Wash hoping for a simple expander but am recommended to very expensive growth appliances etc. Child has a small mouth / palate and deep bite ... 8 adult teeth so far in.