New Here

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredone

New Here

#1 Post by wiredone »

Hello. I do not have kids with braces, but I do have a question in regards to this subject.

My 2 daughters are about ready for braces... one of them has really good dental hygeine, while the other does not. I have braces, so I know how much more work it is to keep your teeth clean with them on. My dilemma is that if I get her (my daughter who has the dental hygeine problem) braces now, the condition/health of her teeth will become even worse than they are right now, but I also know there is a chance, if I wait, that orthodontic treatment may be harder when she's older.

I know that a good number of kids don't have the best dental habits... just wondering how other parents deal with this... or is this even an issue?

scully

Re: New Here

#2 Post by scully »

Hi! I'm new as well. If your daughter has poor hygiene, I would definitely get her going with better cleaning habits and such before she gets braces. All the work would be for nothing if she ruins her teeth by not cleaning them properly. I would also get her on a mineralizing diet that includes lots of dairy, shellfish, vegetables, cod liver oil, high vitamin butter oil, and excludes (or seriously limits) white sugar, refined grains, refined "white" carbs, and legumes that are not properly soaked, sprouted or fermented. These contribute to tooth decay, and are much more dangerous than simply not brushing.

I would also get her a prescription for a fluoride rinse or toothpaste at the dentists office.

I am a big fan of the Waterpik, and even my smelly, 20-year-old, terrible hygiene brother that hates flossing enjoys using his. They make one for kids... which is actually the one I use because I have a sink ledge instead of an actual counter top to put the big giant adult one on. (I'm pretty sure size and color are the only difference) I use the orthodontic tip, and it makes quick work of all the little food particles that accumulate on and around the hardware in my mouth.

Good luck! :BigGrin:

Number50

Re: New Here

#3 Post by Number50 »

I didn't know they made waterpik for kids. I'm going to get one! You totally made my day!