My daughter's expander story

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

My daughter's expander story

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

My daughter, who is almost 9, had a cross-bite. Her pediatric dentist recommended that she get this corrected now. So in December, I took her to my orthodontist. We did the full panoramic x-rays. Then an appointment for mouth molds. Then another appointment for spacers. Then finally the expander was installed at the roof of her mouth (held in place with metal bands that fit around one molar on each side of her mouth -- they were glued on).

She had the type of expander which does not require turning a key; it is activated with a spring.

Originally the ortho told us that she'd have it for 4 to 6 months. On the third visit, they messed with it and told me that they had "activated it" more. When she went in for a check a month later, they said she was done! I had noticed that the cross bite had resolved itself, but thought they might leave the expander in a month longer.

So the treatment only took about 3 months!

At first it was difficult for her to chew, and she couldn't eat any foods that were chewy and sticky (like gummy bears,) and she found it difficult to chew gum and eat big sandwiches (we had to cut them into smaller pieces). She was in mild pain the first few days, but after that she was OK. I have to say, she was a real trooper.

Now we're waiting for all the rest of her permanent teeth to grow in (that will take a while -- she's a late teether). She might need braces in a few years if the teeth grow in crooked, but she's looking forward to that, believe it or not. Even at her young age, she is embarrassed of her teeth (actually, she has a lot of gaps because several new teeth haven't grown in completely yet!)

BTW, her expander treatment was about $800, if memory serves me correctly.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

That's great news, Lynn. My daughter's in the "holding" pattern too until more of her permanent teeth come in (and she's 10-1/2). She's looking forward to braces too (I think) because she's self conscious about the gap between her central incisors that the expander created. Oh, well - fix one problem and create another. :roll:

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07