Hi from the UK

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wendy UK

Hi from the UK

#1 Post by Wendy UK »

Just found this forum in a google search and its great to find a place to ask questions and share worries :D

Looking at some of the posts its amazing how early some of your kids start orthadontic treatment.

My daughter is 14 and has just had a hyrax fitted which is the first stage of her treatment - depending on how well it works she may have to have teeth out and then a fixed brace - we call them train tracks here.

Compared to the US we are not too hot on dental treatment here - I am in my late thirties and many people of my age have a phobia of the dentist due to 1970's dentists but its much better now. I don't know about elsewhere but braces here are now becoming common and even quite trendy now where as a few years ago kids would have been embarrassed to wear them.

I just have one question really and its about the gap the hyrax is creating in Hollys two front teeth. It has been on for two weeks now and already we are noticing a gap - its probably only about 2mm but if she has another four weeks I am worried about how big it might get? I am sure the orthadontist didn't mention this but he may have done and I didn't pay attention?

sauerkraut

#2 Post by sauerkraut »

Hi Wendy & welcome :)

Sorry if you're feeling a bit neglected out here. This forum doesn't get visited as often as the main one.

I have 3 kids in treatment (as well as myself), and they all started while they were quite young. Not all orthos agree with that where I live, but as my kids have inherited my skeletal deformities, poor things, our ortho wanted to work on their jaws as they grew. For palatal expansion it's important to start before the palate has fused, which is a bit earlier in girls than in boys, but I'd have thought at age 14 you'd probably still be OK. It sounds like it's working, if your daughter has a gap already :)

The gap between the front teeth is quite normal. Mine (after surgical expansion) was at least the width of a whole front tooth. It closed quite quickly once the other teeth started moving into the available space though.
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011