My son just got an expander today...

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

murphy

My son just got an expander today...

#1 Post by murphy »

Hello. This is my first post so I'm looking forward to insight from everyone! My 9 year old son got an expander today. I'm not sure the type but it is on the top, secured to the back molars and is actually a fairly small, skinny bar that connects with a key hole. We are to turn it once per day for 3 weeks. Besides the discomfort (which he hasn't complained about too much...yet), the saliva has been unbelievable. It's actually stressing him out to the point where he won't swallow (or at least not without reminding), won't eat or drink. It's only been aboug 12 hours so I'm trying not to get too worried but he doesn't deal with with dental stuff so I'm worried about his ability to get past this. Any advice on the saliva issue?

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

It goes away. It's just a reaction to all the new stuff in his mouth. Just give it a few days, and it goes away.