New Braces, Turbo Ramps and Metal Bands

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyDew

New Braces, Turbo Ramps and Metal Bands

#1 Post by EmilyDew »

My daughter just got braced today. So far, everything is okay except that she is complaining that a metal band which has been put around one of her molars in preparation for a spring is bothering her. At times she says it hurts and other times she says it just bothers her. I'm not sure if that's because it's a new sensation or if her gum is slightly swollen due to it being put on (she did bleed a little when they put it on) or what. Has anyone else experienced a metal band like this? Should I call the ortho or give it time to settle?

Secondly, turbo ramps. Has anyone had these? I guess they are also called bite ramps. They are placed behind her top two front teeth so that the bottom teeth can't go up as far as they were (almost to the roof of her mouth). The ortho said they will allow the upper back molars to drop down farther. Has anyone had experience with these and if so, about how long did it take for that to happen?

Thanks!

BTW, I am a "graduate" of this forum having gotten my own braces off a year ago in January!