average age to start braces now age 10

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggie

average age to start braces now age 10

#1 Post by Maggie »

I was doing some research, and I've read that now the average age for braces is age 10. I actually had my first round of braces when I was 10, and I remember I was the only one with braces until I was around 12. I ended up needing braces again as an adult because I was late erupting teeth, and some issues that should have been taken care of back then were not, and I remember the 2nd time(I was college age) it was much less awkward wearing braces, partially because my peers were more mature and I was more mature, but also because braces were more common, even in the college age crowd. do you guys think this statistic is true? I have noticed kids getting braces younger, but I didn't realize they were starting them that young. Do you think it's good or bad?

Folk Ballad

#2 Post by Folk Ballad »

Speaking from personal experience, I had a palate expander back when I was eight or so and had braces put on in fourth grade, I believe. By then, a good number of my classmates already had braces and our tin grins generally carried on through middle school.
So... I don't think 10 is too young to start, since I started a good couple years before that. And it was probably a good thing I had, because I needed all the help I could get. :lol:
In fact, I think it's probably a good thing for kids to start braces around age 10 or a little younger, since the orthodontist will have a lot more wiggle room treatment wise because a child is still growing, unlike with an adult.

badbite

#3 Post by badbite »

My daughter is 7 and she will get here expander soon (by eight). I don't know when she'll get braces. The orhto is waiting for her front teeth the come in to see if she'll need head gear or not (she is borderline).

My second DD will need the works. The ortho wants to see her when she turns 6. She has a bull dog bite like me.

I know we have been going to the pool almost everyday trhis summer, and it seems like 2/3s of the kids between the ages of 10 and 18 have them -oh and me the 32 year old mother of three.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

scaredmom

braces at 8

#4 Post by scaredmom »

my daughter is 8 and schduled to get her braces in 2 weeks. she has a 60% overbite which is crowding her teeth on top causing them to overlap. She is already starting to have issues with self esteem...I tell her how beautiful her smile is DAILY and she still covers it or only smiles with no teeth showing. It was making me so sad I decided to take her to the orthor who suggested partial braces and the herbst (which is scaring me half to death). Her baby teeth feel out quickly and permanents came in quick..most of the perms. were down BEFORE baby teeth fell out!!!! I just want her to be happy with her smile....but is 8 too young??

amandajane

re:

#5 Post by amandajane »

I just want her to be happy with her smile....but is 8 too young??

I would say it really young, but orthodontist now days do amazing things.

My story:viewtopic.php?t=31380

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

I had phase one treatment when I was 9 years old, which was back in 1978. I had to wear a removable expander appliance for a couple of months and then I was in the resting phase for a couple of years until the rest of my teeth came in. I only needed upper braces for about 18 months after that.

My seven year olds upper teeth are coming in terrible and it looks as though she's developing an open bite. I'm waiting to see how things develop over the next few months and then I think I'm going to bring her in for an evaluation. My soon to be 12 year old will be starting full treatment in the next 6-9 months. Fun fun fun!!!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]