7 yr old about to start orthodontic treatment

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

laurahalvey

7 yr old about to start orthodontic treatment

#1 Post by laurahalvey »

My child is not an easy going child, she is terrified of new experiences. However, her teeth are so bad, the dentist wants her to start braces. So off to the orthodontist we go. She has had her studies done, we have the treatment consultation on May 21st.

I don't know if I should talk to her about what may happen...she has accompanied me to some of my orthodontic appointments and gets to see what adjustments entail.

I guess I am just nervous that they will have to put up with one of her famous temper tantrums.
Braced for the third time.....

final adjustment 8/21 and debanding 8/27!

sauerkraut

#2 Post by sauerkraut »

I expect the orthodontist and staff will have seen it all before: I wouldn't worry about them too much :wink:

As for what to tell your daughter, my policy with my children has been to answer their questions as honestly as I can. I'm not sure there's much to be gained from volunteering information they haven't asked for. Any orthodontist worth his salt will explain what he's going to do when you get there anyway. But if your daughter asks you in advance about something specific then my view is that straight answers are best, but obviously without being scary.

Impressions are probably the worst bit, and there are lots of tips on handling those in the threads just below this one. If your daughter needs spacers and asks if it will hurt, it's probably best to admit that some people do find them rather uncomfortable, but that it gets better over time, and if it's too bad she can always have medicine for it. She might of course have no trouble at all but if they do hurt and you've told her they wouldn't, then you could lose her trust.

Hope that helps a bit :)

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I agree, be honest with your answers BUT be age appropriate. If she asked where babies come from, you wouldn't go into ALL of the detals both sexually and biologically. She wouldn't want that or be able to handle it.

Ask her if she has any questions then provide appropriate answers. Don't project the future!!!

She may surprise you as she may handle this with more maturity since you have braces....she may feel that you've let her in on your club. May also be a way to approach it.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

eh to zed

#4 Post by eh to zed »

I hope that the consult goes well and she approaches treatment with no tantrums.