Eating with RPE

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

lethridge

Eating with RPE

#1 Post by lethridge »

My 8 year old daughter got an expander put in her mouth last Wed (3/12). She has not eaten much at all since. Food gets stuck on the roof of her mouth and she gags and throws up. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can get her to eat?? She had a very healthy appetite before.

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

For the first little while, you also might want to try some foods that don't require any chewing - like soup, yoghurt, etc. Anything she can just swallow. I would also suggest offering small meals and snacks, more frequently. Trying to get through a whole plate of food might seem a bit daunting, so maybe try smaller portions.

It will get better. I had expanders as a kid too, and the first time I got it I couldn't stop gagging. But I did manage to get used to it.

lethridge

#3 Post by lethridge »

Thanks for the encouragement. She has been crying today and asking for the expander to be removed. She did eat some soup and ice cream today though.

kcj

#4 Post by kcj »

Small bites of food, no pasta, a big glass of chocolate milk, and a mommy who is willing to help you dig food out of the roof of your mouth for the first week. That's what worked for my daughter. :)

lethridge

#5 Post by lethridge »

:D She ate mashed potatoes tonight! We went back to the orthodontist and she recommended benedryl to relax her and numb her gag reflexes. It seemed to work! Again, thanks for all of the encouragement and suggestions. I hope she has a good day tomorrow.

badbite

#6 Post by badbite »

I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having trouble with her expander. I have one and it seems that cheese and pasta are the worst things to eat. Bread and cake like things are the best. From experience I woyuld say supporting her is the best thing you can do. Uderstand if she does not want to eat something. Expect slurping and gross noises from her. I feel like it is really hard to eat, still after 2 months. A water pik is a great idea.

My dd will be getting one soon and I am dreading it! She is 7 now but will probably be closer to 8 when she gets the expander.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008