Elastics

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

NewYork1198

Elastics

#1 Post by NewYork1198 »

Hi everybody. I'm glad I found this site, hopefully some of you can help me out here.

My son is in the 9th grade and has been in braces for a little over 2 years now. When he was younger, he went through the usual paces, including a palate expander for a few months and then a retainer, which he wore faithfully for a while, until he conveniently "lost" it at camp 1 summer.

A week before the schoolyear began, he made his usual visit to the orthodontist who said he was progressing along very well and was still on track to have his braces removed in a few months. That day, his ortho said the last part of my son's treatment would be to wear elastics, which he would have to wear 24 hours a day except when eating to be effective.

He seemed to be handling it all very well at first, even though I could tell his teeth were sore. When school started however, that was a different story. He all but stopped wearing his elastics altogether. He has never once worn them to school, and usually only wears them for a few days before he's scheduled to see the orthodontist, who has noted my son's lack of progess and has repeatedly told him that his braces will remain on until he starts wearing his elastics.

I never wore braces as a kid, so I don't know exactly how to confront the situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what I could say or do here, I don't want to make a wrong move and make it all works.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Maggie

Re: Elastics

#2 Post by Maggie »

NewYork1198 wrote: He seemed to be handling it all very well at first, even though I could tell his teeth were sore. When school started however, that was a different story. He all but stopped wearing his elastics altogether. He has never once worn them to school, and usually only wears them for a few days before he's scheduled to see the orthodontist, who has noted my son's lack of progess and has repeatedly told him that his braces will remain on until he starts wearing his elastics.
I think all you can do is restate to him that he will be in braces until he starts wearing the elastics. I would be willing to bet that it's a self-conciousness issue if he was wearing them before school started even though he was in pain.

NewYork1198

#3 Post by NewYork1198 »

I'm not sure that it's a self-consciousness issue, I think it's more about motivation. His orthodontist and I have both told him that his braces aren't ready to come off until he's worn his elastics. I know he wants his braces off, he'd just as soon have them removed tomorrow if that were an option. Every time I've tried to confront him about this, he doesn't want to talk about it, so I've yet to get a straight answer from him. And I also don't want to just give up and cut the whole process short just because he's not willing to take that last extra step. I'm trying not to blow what seems like a simple problem out of proportion, but I can't relate from experience.

#4 Post by Guest »

Hi NewYork. I have a question: Was your son excited about getting the braces, or did he feel he was pushed into them? If he was excited or at least ok with the idea, then he made a contract with you when he agreed to get them. I know that I had to sign a statement saying that I would floss daily, brush my teeth at least three times a day and follow any orders my orthodontist gave me.

Maybe you could explain to him about how the shortest line to reaching a goal is a straight one. By not wearing his elastics, he is a putting a curve in the line - which means longer wear.

Something else that I just thought of off the top of my head. Is he the type of young man who likes to teach or show others how to do stuff? If so, maybe with your orthodontists help, he could explain to new patients about what/how his braces journey has been. This might give him the incentive to continue, just so he could keep others informed of how he is doing...

In any case, good luck to you and to him.

NewYork1198

#5 Post by NewYork1198 »

When he first started treatment, he was in the 3rd grade and seemed pretty happy with everything. His best friend at the time (who has since moved away) went to the same orthodontist and went through a very similar course of treatment. My son started a few months later, so he knew everything to except.

His braces didn't go quite as smoothly. He knew he needed to get them, but put off getting them on as long as he could. He certainly wasn't forced into it by any means, especially since most of his friends had them already. You have some good ideas, Attagirl2, but I think he wants to focus as much attention away from his braces as he can, so I doubt he'd agree to that. I almost feel like I need to use some reverse psychology here in order to get the job done. I do appreciate the suggestions though, thank you.

Fizzy

#6 Post by Fizzy »

I am 17 years old and I have had my braces since I was 15. The elastics your son most likely has now are finishing elastics, which are worn in a triangle formation. I have worn triangle elastics before to close my bite, and let me tell you, they are NOT fun. They are pretty uncomfortable because they are so restrictive. You can't open your mouth very wide with them...not to mention they are very noticeable and I always felt so ugly wearing them.

At school, I would only wear them for half the day. I would take them out at lunch because I couldn't eat with them on and I didn't want to have to put them back in front of the whole lunch table. Then I would put them on as soon as I got home. I even doubled up on elastics at night a couple times. I know you're not supposed to do this, but I did and I was fine. I was told to wear them for 6 weeks and that's all I had to wear them for!

I don't know what to tell you about your son. My mom doesn't have to bug me to wear my elastics because I REALLY want my braces off, so I do everything in my power to wear them as much as I can. I've shaved 4-6 months off my treatment time by wearing my elastics diligently. But if he doesn't want to cooperate, there's not much you can do. Maybe if you keep mentioning things like "When you get your braces off....blah blah blah".

Make sure he realize that the ortho will know if he hasn't been wearing his elastics. Maybe tell the ortho to be a little harsher with him about elastics at the next visit? Haha I know I'm more scared of the ortho than my mother. Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you. I have only come as far as I have because I want it. Maybe when he sees his friends getting their braces off, he will want it too.
Braced - October 2003
Un-Braced - June 27, 2005! Yay!

Braceface16

#7 Post by Braceface16 »

Yeah I had to wear elastics for about weeks in 2 differnt way. But I had to wear 6-8 at a time and they really bug you. You can not open your mouth at all and when you talk every body notices them. I did the same thing. I would put them on in the morning and take them out at lunch and then when I got home. At first I was like whatever BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT MY BRACES OFF. my friend was supposed to wear rubber bands many times but she did not so her treatment time was supposed to be 2 years but she did not wear them so she did really not get them off for 4 years. I had to one these things called bottons and they r circles on the back of your teeth and you hook the rubber band from the your top teeth all the way to your bottom back if that made any sense. But wear your rubber bands is all i have to say no matter how much they hurt or how dorky they look!!!!!
~~**CaRoLiNe~~**

Shel1970

Good to know that I'm not alone...

#8 Post by Shel1970 »

I found this forum while doing a Google search in hopes of finding some help with getting my 14-year-old son to wear his elastics! I'm glad to hear that I am not the only parent experiencing this problem. I am at my wits end!! I have done everything that I can think of from punishing him to bribing him and NOTHING works!! He only wears them when I notice that he is not and make him go and put them in! To make matters worse, instead of telling him that not wearing them will make his treatment last longer, my ortho just tells him that we'll just take the braces if off if he continues to not wear the elastics. This makes my son want to wear them even less because he thinks if he continues not to, then he will get the braces off!! I spent a fortune on these braces and I am not about to let them take them off before treatment is complete, but the ortho just keeps saying that is the only other option if my son refuses to wear the elastics! I don't know what else to do, Please HELP!!! :cry:

Braceface16

Re: Good to know that I'm not alone...

#9 Post by Braceface16 »

[quote="Shel1970"]I found this forum while doing a Google search in hopes of finding some help with getting my 14-year-old son to wear his elastics! I'm glad to hear that I am not the only parent experiencing this problem. I am at my wits end!! I have done everything that I can think of from punishing him to bribing him and NOTHING works!! He only wears them when I notice that he is not and make him go and put them in! To make matters worse, instead of telling him that not wearing them will make his treatment last longer, my ortho just tells him that we'll just take the braces if off if he continues to not wear the elastics. This makes my son want to wear them even less because he thinks if he continues not to, then he will get the braces off!! I spent a fortune on these braces and I am not about to let them take them off before treatment is complete, but the ortho just keeps saying that is the only other option if my son refuses to wear the elastics! I don't know what else to do, Please HELP!!! :cry:[/quote]

braceface16 writes: That is not right that the orthodontist will take the braces off before they are ready to come off just because he refuses to wear them. braces are really expensive. It semms like you have tried every thing to make him wear them. I know that If I do not wear them that will just make my teeth not move and make my treatment time longer. My parents do not force me, it is my own decision and I do what the orthodontist tells me. Like how many hours a day is he actually wearing them? Because I am thinking that if he does not wear them at all then he could at least wear them at night. You put them in when you brush your teeth and take them out in the morning. Then nobody will see them, you do not talk while you aresleeping and you will not feel them , but they would be working. I know this is only about 8-10 hours a day but it is better than none!

~~**Caroline~~**
~~**CaRoLiNe~~**

Braceface16

#10 Post by Braceface16 »

[quote="Shel1970"]I found this forum while doing a Google search in hopes of finding some help with getting my 14-year-old son to wear his elastics! I'm glad to hear that I am not the only parent experiencing this problem. I am at my wits end!! I have done everything that I can think of from punishing him to bribing him and NOTHING works!! He only wears them when I notice that he is not and make him go and put them in! To make matters worse, instead of telling him that not wearing them will make his treatment last longer, my ortho just tells him that we'll just take the braces if off if he continues to not wear the elastics. This makes my son want to wear them even less because he thinks if he continues not to, then he will get the braces off!! I spent a fortune on these braces and I am not about to let them take them off before treatment is complete, but the ortho just keeps saying that is the only other option if my son refuses to wear the elastics! I don't know what else to do, Please HELP!!! :cry:[/quote]

braceface16 writes: That is not right that the orthodontist will take the braces off before they are ready to come off just because he refuses to wear them. braces are really expensive. It semms like you have tried every thing to make him wear them. I know that If I do not wear them that will just make my teeth not move and make my treatment time longer. My parents do not force me, it is my own decision and I do what the orthodontist tells me. Like how many hours a day is he actually wearing them? Because I am thinking that if he does not wear them at all then he could at least wear them at night. You put them in when you brush your teeth and take them out in the morning. Then nobody will see them, you do not talk while you aresleeping and you will not feel them , but they would be working. I know this is only about 8-10 hours a day but it is better than none!

~~**Caroline~~**
~~**CaRoLiNe~~**

Braceface16

#11 Post by Braceface16 »

~~**Caroline~~**
~~**CaRoLiNe~~**

NewYork1198

#12 Post by NewYork1198 »

Hi Shel. You are definitely not alone, so I know your frustrations. Now that this topic has caught some steam again, here's an update on my son, and I'm sorry to say it's not a happy one...

My son went away for the summer and still has his braces on, even though they should have been ready to come off several months ago. He has shown little improvement in wearing elastics and now that he's away from home for almost 2 months, I'm sure there's little chance of that changing. What puzzles me is that he really seems eager to have his braces taken off, but is hardly motivated to do anything about it. He asks his orthodontist at almost every appointment when he'll be getting his braces off and the response is always the same, that it won't happen until the elastics have done their job.

I've all but given up on the situation, it almost doesn't seem worth the fight anymore. It's a shame that after all these years of orthodontic treatment that the process is ending like this. I'm still open to suggestions, but like Shel, I don't know what else to do. I’m a little discouraged to hear that your son’s ortho might be giving up on him. I guess I could consider it my son’s punishment that his braces should remain on for as long as it takes for him to start wearing his elastics, which hopefully will be soon.

Shel1970 wrote:I found this forum while doing a Google search in hopes of finding some help with getting my 14-year-old son to wear his elastics! I'm glad to hear that I am not the only parent experiencing this problem. I am at my wits end!! I have done everything that I can think of from punishing him to bribing him and NOTHING works!! He only wears them when I notice that he is not and make him go and put them in! To make matters worse, instead of telling him that not wearing them will make his treatment last longer, my ortho just tells him that we'll just take the braces if off if he continues to not wear the elastics. This makes my son want to wear them even less because he thinks if he continues not to, then he will get the braces off!! I spent a fortune on these braces and I am not about to let them take them off before treatment is complete, but the ortho just keeps saying that is the only other option if my son refuses to wear the elastics! I don't know what else to do, Please HELP!!! :cry:

bre

#13 Post by bre »

why does't he tried coil springs. they re basicly elatics, but only the ortho can remove them. :)

kkalex

#14 Post by kkalex »

bre wrote:why does't he tried coil springs. they re basicly elatics, but only the ortho can remove them. :)
Good idea... I never thought of that!

Paparazzi

#15 Post by Paparazzi »

NY1198

After so much time has elapsed, has your son finally gotten his braces off or is he still in them?