7yr old to start treatment and its all Greek to me!

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Aprose

7yr old to start treatment and its all Greek to me!

#1 Post by Aprose »

OK, my 7 yr old daughter went for a consult last week. I am so confused about what they want to do. They recommended brackets on the top and some kind of bite corrector that is plastic and sits behind her teeth. Does any of this make sense? Her front permanent teeth are completely sideways and one of them is so far back her bottom teeth sit in front of it. She has lost 3 teeth on top but only 2 have come in because ther is no room. Will they put brackets on her baby teeth too? And what is this "bite corrector"? Is it a palat expander? I know that she needs something done but a lot of parents seem shocked when I tell them. They say they have never heard of someone so young getting braces. I don't want to put it off to the detriment of her mouth. I wish I knew more facts. Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Andrea

Aprose

#2 Post by Aprose »

No, she didn't show me anything, and I'm dumb for not thinking to ask. She actually offered 2 different types of treatment. One that I tried to explaine and the other involved some type of removable appliance. I asked her which she recommended and she said to do the brackets and the other thing. She couldnt guarantee results with the removable appliance. There is an underbite and the front top permanent teeth are sideways almost 90 degrees and form a "v". But one of them is really far back in her mouth and wont come forward. I hope I am making sense. Thanks!

Aprose

#3 Post by Aprose »

Thanks, I am pretty sure she was talking about a Bite Plate behind her teeth with brackets on the front. I will call on Monday though and get a copy of the treatment recommendation. Thanks Again!